WindowsXP SP2

Mickey

Lifetime Supporting Member
Windows XP SP2 what is it going to do to our programming software.
90 % of what I do is AB stuff. Anybody have a heads up on this.

don't do it

Check out the Rockwell knowledge base. There are some articles there about some products that are not compatible with SP2.

No doubt future releases of RS will remove the incompatibilities.

Suck it and see I think.

I have Hitachi Actsip (DOS box) and Actwin, Siemens windows offering (yuck), GE-Fanuc Logicmaster 90 (DOS box), RSLogix, Omron CX-Programmer, CX-Supervisor, CX-Protocol, CX-Simulator and Device Net Configurator, Syswin, Mitsubishi GX-Developer and GX-Simulator. Plus a few more that I do not use very often.

Could be interesting.

I think there will be a great deal of questions here when SP2 comes out and, hopefully, a lot of good help from everyone when they find solutions to problems.

Idea Phil, when it comes out, set up a XP SP2 group so that all offerings and questions from members can be put in the one place.

I've already seen the technical bulletin and it essentially says "don't do it !".

In particular, Windows XP SP2 increases the security settings for the XP Firewall and for DCOM component permissions. Some of the functions used by RSI, particularly for RSView SE and for RSLinx, rely on functions that are by default turned off by SP2.

Remember that this isn't just an RSI thing; there are a LOT of vendors who are expecting widespread SP2 application to break their software. I've received two notices just this week that warn against business software we use being incompatible with SP2 for some of the same reasons.

I don't really think there are many RSI products that will need to be revised for compatibility with SP2, it's just that there will be a lot more administrative effort required by XP users in the future to properly set up their computers. Just hitting "install" won't be enough.

I am using Windows 2000 for as long as I can !

Ken,

I follow you all the way. The last two computers I received in my classroom were pre-installed with XP, but I'm re-installing them with Win2000. The reason? More problems than I could handle. Maybe it's only because I'm not familiar with XP, but at the moment I don't have the time to learn yet another version of Windows. The new rumours about XP SP2 make me stick with 2000 even more.

Kind regards,

I have used WinXP SP1 for about 6 months and SP2 for about 2 weeks.
I'm using siemens, bosch and abb software on my computer without any problems so far.
The only thing that I checked before installing WinXP was the compatibility of the programs.

I'll post any findings of problems or strange behavior here.

Regards
Borte

I've had SP2 installed on my computer for about 2 weeks, no problems. All the AD stuff works along with ACAD and etc... I've started installing it on other computers around the office (I'm also the IT guy around here) at about one every other day. So far, no problems with anyone. It does turn up the security and lock stuff down, but the only annoyance has been our VPN software, SP2 comes up and asks if it should block it, tell it no and there's no problems...

Ken Roach said:
In particular, Windows XP SP2 increases the security settings for the XP Firewall and for DCOM component permissions. Some of the functions used by RSI, particularly for RSView SE and for RSLinx, rely on functions that are by default turned off by SP2.

This wasn't on a Windows XP system, but it's a similar problem.
We've had issues with security and RSView SE. We were trying to use this machine to act as an HMI server, but the IIS services are locked up TIGHT in Windows2003. In the end, we had to downgrade from Windows2003 Server to Windows2000 Server.

I agree with Ken. Sit on Windows2000 as long as possible. It's more stable than any Microsoft product I've seen, and ALMOST everything runs on it.

AK

Strangely enough I have been running XP Home on the laptop and XP Professional on my main machine since they came out and have found them both very good.

I am having less problems with XP than I had with 2000, but that may be due to the machine. The most reliable Windows I have used so far and NO blue screen of death as I experienced with 2000.

My only real grumble has been USB/232 converters. Since I paid a fair bit of money and bought the Omron one, I rarely have a problem.

By the way, the laptop is a HP and I think that has something to do with it as I know other people with other laptops that have no problems at all.

I might add that I borrowed the Omron converter for testing before I shelled out the cash. Always been a doubting Thomas.

There is allot of confusion with WXP SP2, sorry guys on W2K your not in this. The main reason for the problems are as Ken stated, have to do with the file sharing and network capabilities of the good ol' WXP. If you do have problems with a product from RS just keep in mind the rollback capabilities of WXP! Those of you out there that are destined for problems, because of corporate policies, inform your IT deptartment of the incompatabilities with SP2. Take the Company networking off of the programming computer you are using. It's better to live without WXP SP2 than to have a dead development environement.
I am aware of more problems with SP2 than just Rockwells, many are humping extra hours to find their fix.
Deny all updates until you hear more.
Be vigilant with auto-updates and all unsolicitated e-mail.

bitmore

This probably doesn't add much to what has already been said other than this is what some of the representatives of the controllers I use have said about XP SP2 and their controllers. I also include some links that may be useful if you do install SP2. I realize these recommendations run contrary to the experiences of Borte and Marksji.

ROCKWELL/ALLEN-BRADLEY
Our AB distributor recommended that we not install Windows XP Service Pack 2 - yet. He said that all distributed and networked applications will not function properly because of Microsoft's new security features, new DCOM system defaults, and changes that enable the Windows Firewall by default. He added this is not limited to Rockwell products.

He said in the Fall of 2004, Rockwell will provide a utility that configures settings so applications will function properly with the firewall enabled.

He included a letter from Rockwell Automation that advises against the XP SP2 installation. This letter specifies any distributed applications such as RSLinx, RSView, RSBatch, and RSMACC, and the Factory Talk Automation Platform. It also said the Rockwell Software Fall release will support XP SP2 and Windows Server 2003.

There is a release note that recommends running Rockwell's Windows Firewall Configuration Utility. The utility is supposedly at Rockwell Knowledgebase and is Tech Note A86058399, but I couldn't find it at the Rockwell site. I did find these Tech Notes (A79346072 and G79662951) that explain manually configuring the firewall.

SIEMENS
Our Siemens representative also recommended not upgrading to SP2 - unless it's absolutely critical. He said that Siemens software does not support XP SP2, but the next release will. If it is critical, Siemens suggests referencing the OPC Foundation's recommendations.

OPC FOUNDATION
This link OPC over DCOM for XPSP2 takes you to page where you can download a white paper that describes the configuration necessary for OPC over DCOM to work with XP SP2.

Mitsubishi
Our Mitsubishi distributor didn't know anything about this, but was asking the ASG group at Mitsubishi.

Other
I have also asked the manufacturers of other controls that we use and they recommend against the upgrade because of the affect it has on OPC.

Am I the only one to have problems with SP2? Everything seems to work fine DirectSoft, EZText, DSData. The major problem that I have is the fact that my wireless router will no loneger work with it. AND it is a Microsoft MN500. I know that it is probably brand labeled by Microsoft but still. They claimed that if I would do an update on it then life would be good. Nope, not in my case. Evertime it says that I have the wrong WEP encryption key installed. I can even manually reset the thing and it still claims wrong key. Remove SP2 and life is good.

dale

Say no to SP2...

I was 'forced' to make the jump to XP when I bought my new laptop. It came preloaded with XP Pro SP1. A month into it now, and ZERO problems. Of course, I have it set up so it 'looks' like Win98, to lessen the shock... ;)

At this point, I refuse to attempt SP2. Too many horror stories right now. I want to stay on top of updates for SP1, but Microsoft hides these updates behind the upgrade to SP2. If you choose the 'recommended' Express Install from the Windows Update page, you only see the SP2 update, and no updates for SP1, even if there ARE (critical!) updates. IOW, "You don't need to update SP1 if you'll just install our magical SP2." Only Custom Install shows you the updates for SP1.

I found a download (from Microsoft, no less!) that will allow you to stave off SP2 until 12-APR-05, while continuing to recieve updates for SP1 with Automatic Update (or through Windows Update). Click HERE for details.

beerchug

-Eric