1Hertz led on Siemens HMI

XxLinkxX

Hi everyone! I was wondering if Siemens had a 1hertz LED on their HMI. Im trying to use a start button that toggles a 1 hertz led on its display. I'm using the ktp 600 basic. if not, is their a led that the HMI has that I can use instead?

I assume you don't mean an actual LED, but an indicator on the screen that could flash/change colors?

There are two ways to do this. The most HMI objects have a "flashing" setting that you can activate as part of an animation. You can't change the speed though, or the colors.

If you want more control, you can do it in the PLC. Every Siemens PLC has a Clock Byte that you can turn on in the HW Config. It creates some bits that flash at different frequencies. Each is 50% on, 50% off, great for making flashers on HMIs. I think they range from .5Hz to 10Hz. I'm sure 1Hz is one of the options, but I can't recall which bit.

Hi MK42,
Yea I meant a LED on the HMI that flashes. Wasn't sure if the HMI had one that could do it for me.
ITs just a simple test im conducting with my HMI and PLC. I just started learning PLC so I want to learn different aspects of it.
As far as control, I just want it to flash at 1 hertz. once I hit the start button.
The first option seems good but im not sure if the default speed would be 1 hertz. I will check on the second option you gave me and see if its in HW config.

I assume you don't mean an actual LED, but an indicator on the screen that could flash/change colors?

There are two ways to do this. The most HMI objects have a "flashing" setting that you can activate as part of an animation. You can't change the speed though, or the colors.

If you want more control, you can do it in the PLC. Every Siemens PLC has a Clock Byte that you can turn on in the HW Config. It creates some bits that flash at different frequencies. Each is 50% on, 50% off, great for making flashers on HMIs. I think they range from .5Hz to 10Hz. I'm sure 1Hz is one of the options, but I can't recall which bit.

also can you go into detail how to do the 2nd option.

also can you go into detail how to do the 2nd option.

Here is a youtube video that shows how to turn it on for the S7300 in Portal. If you are using the 1200/1500, the setup is similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLBETErFzeI

Adfox also has a great comment: if you want a tag that flashes on and off at 1HZ, you need to ensure that the tag update speed is at least double that. This means it would need to update every 500ms.

Here is a youtube video that shows how to turn it on for the S7300 in Portal. If you are using the 1200/1500, the setup is similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLBETErFzeI

Adfox also has a great comment: if you want a tag that flashes on and off at 1HZ, you need to ensure that the tag update speed is at least double that. This means it would need to update every 500ms.

Hmm similarly, could I use two timers to Flash at 1 Hertz? 1Hertz = 1 second (I believe) so take 50ms to turn it on and another 50ms to turn it off. What do you think?

Hmm similarly, could I use two timers to Flash at 1 Hertz? 1Hertz = 1 second (I believe) so take 50ms to turn it on and another 50ms to turn it off. What do you think?

You could. Using the bits created by the HW is less work, but it does require you to use the predefined rates. If you want something to flash at a custom rate or duty cycle, you absolutely could use two timers to do it. It would need to be 500ms on and 500ms off, though, to be 1 cycle per second.

Must it be absolutely precisely 1 Hz ?

I think you will it difficult to achieve a precisely 1 Hz flashing screen object. When the tag update is slightly offset with the tag actually changing, you will see visually annoying differences in the on-off periods.

Just use "flashing" appearance animation on the relevant screen objects. This flashing is not dependent on a tag cycling on and off. So it has a constant on and off duration.

Must it be absolutely precisely 1 Hz ?

I think you will it difficult to achieve a precisely 1 Hz flashing screen object. When the tag update is slightly offset with the tag actually changing, you will see visually annoying differences in the on-off periods.

Just use "flashing" appearance animation on the relevant screen objects. This flashing is not dependent on a tag cycling on and off. So it has a constant on and off duration.

It doesn't have to be, I guess. I've never used "flashing" so how do I go about doing that?

It seems the LED isn't keeping up with the flash on the PLC. Anyone know how to configure the HMI o read the speeds.

It seems the LED isn't keeping up with the flash on the PLC. Anyone know how to configure the HMI o read the speeds.

Open the HMI tag table. The "Acquisition cycle" how often the HMI polls the PLC for the value of the tag. If you scroll right it should be in the tag table, or it is under "Settings" in the tag properties.