Level Sensor outputs

CAAJ

Hello All,

Does anyone know if a 4-20ma signal would provide enough resolution for a level sensor. I want to make sure that the level recorded by our compactlogix controller is accurate.

We would like to utilize an ultrasonic level sensor.

Any feedback would be useful!

(y)

Not sure what, where, and how much you are measuring.
I use radar units with 4-20 measuring dry product and they work great.

Sorry about that. We're looking to measure high and low viscosity fluids in a rectangular storage tank. The unit is only 4.5' tall. And I would say we would like to shoot for about <2% accuracy.

Last edited:
Typical A-D cards

use 12 bit resolution. That's 4096 counts, much better than 2%.

If you ensure that your sensor range is reasonably close to the range of your tank levels, you will get sufficient resolution.
e.g. If you are looking to measure a 5' range, shop for a sensor with 6'-10' range, so your 4-20mA output will be maximized over your range.