1784-PKTX re-installation

jrs2563

Howdy...I boogered up my PC that had all my allen bradley files on it. Replaced win98, had to replace rslogix5, 500, Rsview32, Linx, etc. Here is mym question. I have a 1784-PKTX installed, and it wont boot up. Driver is gone. I have the driver but I cant get the PC to recognize that the darned card is there. Ive uninstalled the thing, reinstalled, tried manually...but no recognition from win98 that the card is there. Any solutions out there. Thanks in advance...Jim Schroll. :)

Thanks Kim for the comeback..I appreciate it...but shouldnt win98 recognize the card BEFORE any drivers are installed? It is not recognized when I first put it in. Jim

PKTX

You might have a memory conflict with the computer memory.
Did you check the thumwheels on the PKTX module. I have my set to D700. There is also another jumper for memory. I think mine is set to 1M or to the right position.

If you look under "System Properties" / "Device Manager", is there a network adapter which shows up as a "question mark"?
If so you can probably try installing the Device driver. If not try "Add Hardware" under Control Panel. If that doesn't help you may need to try changing some of the DIP switch settings on card as Marc suggests.

Kim

deviceman.jpg

Thanks again, Kim & Mark...I will look at those switch settings...however....another question here....if this worked before...which it has for several years now....would I now need to change those settings on the board after reinstalling win98? Is that something that might possibly be necessary? Thanks...Jim

I think Kim is on the right track; maybe reinstalling the OS over the top of the driver broke the driver.

See if the "PKTX Driver Remove" utility results in the card being recognized as New Hardware.

Thanks Ken...Im gonna download the driver again from the net, I go in to work this afternoon and I will try all these things you guys mentioned. I did uninstall the driver, several times...and even pulled out the card, booted up, then shutdown, installed the card and booted up...to no avail. Its always been my experience with hardware, that regardless of having the correct driver or not, that upon installing the device...windows should see it and request the driver. This is never seeing the device, so I never get to install a driver. Thanks ALOT for your help, you guys....Jim

Before reinstalling Windows:

1. Check that the PKTX card REALLY REALLY is removed from the system.
Use the manual ADD/REMOVE HARDWARE utility to see if it is still there.
And, check in the device manager that it is really gone.

2. If really gone. Then try to use the manual ADD/REMOVE HARDWARE utility (as Kim Gold suggests) to add the card driver to the system. You will then have to provide the driver from the RSLinx CD.
(Most of the times Windows will recognize the new card and automatically start the ADD/REMOVE HARDWARE utility, but not allways).

3. If that doesnt help, try to change the setting in the computer BIOS that enables plug-and-play. Rockwell recommends that plug-and-play is disabled (!). Then try step 1 & 2 again.

4. If you discover a conflict somewhere in the system try to remove the drivers for the "other" equipment that conflicts with the PKTX card. When PKTX is working OK you can reinstall the driver for the "other" equipment (this time it will be assigned resources that doesnt conflict).