Cannot communicate SoftLogix and Unidrive M702

MrNihil

Welcome all! //tldr on post end

At first I would like to introduce myself, my name is Paul and I really like this site, but just recently I was forced to register because I have small weird problem...

For my current project I was instructed to learn to operate a Unidrive M702 AC drive using Rockwell PLC's. It took me a while but I was able to configure drive and autotune the motor. As for PLC part I have to use SoftLogix 5800, where I configured a controller and Ethernet/IP module. I have created basic program in Logix Designer as well, properly adding an Ethernet-module generic card.

And here is the issue - my controller does see the drive, but returns errors. If I set up wrong data size in Unidrive I get standard errors about size mismatches, but when they do match (that is 32 size of 32 bit on Controller an 128 bytes on Unidrive both for input and output), the generic module returns 16#0203 error, stating that module has timed out. But its not the same timeout error when I unplug ethernet cable physically.

I cant really modify data size, but when I debugged it the result was the same. I have disabled UDP packets in RSLinx as well.
I believe its a communication protocol error, but I am unable to find the source of this problem.

My questions are: Can someone with experience with M702 Unidrive help me with communication setup? Or someone to guide me with possible solutions like setting up SoftLogix for ethernnet communication (but the drive is seen by PLC!), or with setting up modules in Logix Designer (not many options there)?
I will be really grateful because I am spending all day reading documentations and set up guides and find no luck...

In softlogix my ethernet module always says in module status "Internal state: Unconnected"
In Logix Designer I properly added this module, and added another in ethernet tab -> ETHERNET-MODULE Generic Ethernet Module with IP pointing at Unidrive. RPI is 40ms (recommended for this drive), unicast check. Changing RPI or Unicast does not do anything.
In Unidrive M Connect I set up parameters like:
Gateway pointing at softlogix enet module, most config is default (with exception of IP and data sending, like 128 bytes size and what is sent).

TL;DR
Cant communicate SoftLogix5800 with Unidrive M702, error 16#0203 timeout, but when I change data sizes I get standard error about i/o data packets being different, so it seems I "see" the drive but communication protocol is wrong.

Welcome aboard !

This sounds like an ideal opportunity to use Wireshark to look at the connection establishment and behavior of the module after it creates the connection.

You're right that 16#0203 and 16#0204 are different errors; the 0204 error is a true no-response timeout like you'll get when the device is completely offline, while the 0203 is when it can make the TCP connection but can't get the application-level CIP connection established.

I haven't used that specific drive, but I know the SI-Ethernet module supports both EtherNet/IP (Port 44818) and Modbus/TCP (Port 502), so it will probably accept TCP connections on both ports. Is there a configuration onboard the drive to select which application protocol will run ?

Another great tool for troubleshooting basic TCP connectivity is Eli Fulkerson's TCPING program. That will tell you if the device is listening for TCP connections on the port you specify.

@Ken Roach
Thanks for fast reply!
Well it seems I will be forced to use wireshark. I managed to regain access to Rockwell knowlegde base (long story) and it seems this error is also caused by firewall and wifi connections, so I will have lots of things to test tomorrow.
I once manually selected Ethernet connection but it didnt changed anything. It appears it can connect (so TCPING will probably just confirm it), but my wild guess is that the controller is expecting slightly different data (maybe handshake or something).

Anyway I will try wireshark and post results, thanks for advice :)

Firewalls are a very good possibility; it makes sense that a firewall would allow the TCP connection to go through but block the UDP packets that actually make up the cyclic I/O connection.

RA does have a firewall configuration utility that installs with RSLinx Classic. I haven't had to troubleshoot a firewall with SoftLogix 5800 in a long while.

And trying to do a multi-homed PC where the WiFi and the wired Ethernet are on the same IP subnet is almost always trouble. In my humble opinion a PC that's running a soft controller has no business with a WiFi adapter.

Disclaimer: I only read the heading and the TL;DR statement, but I had an almost identical issue trying to get SoftLogix to communicate with a SEW device. If I changed to slightly incorrect comms parameters I got a different error code, and I could even reset the device from RSLogix, so I knew they could "see" each other.

Called tech support, got the quick brush off because I was using a third party device. Called tech support again and got someone in a better mood, turned off firewall, hey presto! Instant communication.

TL;DR - turn off your firewall!

@Ken Roach @ASF
Sorry for this silence but just today I had opportunity to work with drive again. Turning off windows firewall worked flawlessly, thank you all for your help :D