GE RX3i Communication VS 90/30

I tried to find out how the ports are configured, I have a customer that is trying to communicate to a RX3i and trying to the cable we sell for the 90/30 (DB15)

Are the RX3i and the 90/30 same for the COMM's , by reading Russ's post http://forums.ge-ip.com/showthread.php?p=60395#post60395 I would so no but I wanted to double check before I answered my customer
Oh ye of little faith! Trust me, I will not intentionally steer you wrong. :)

Why would they need a cable that you sell or do you sell a cable that would communicate from one 15-pin RS-485 port to another?
Please verify which port in each CPU or each system they are trying to use and verify the protocol.

Last edited:
Oh ye of little faith! Trust me, I will not intentionally steer you wrong. :)

I do.. I do, its my lying eyes that I dont trust :)

Russ said:
Why would they need a cable that you sell or do you sell a cable that would communicate from one 15-pin RS-485 port to another?

As you can tell I do not know a lot about the GE's, below is the email from my customer, I only sell a couple GE cables (thanks to you and Steve) they work very well... its the 15 pin and VersaMax I was thinking about making more just not sure if they would sell or if there is a need

my customer said:
I recently purchased a USB to serial cable to connect to GE plcs. It is the IC690USB901 cable.
I can connect to a 9030 plc.
I cannot connect to an RX3i plc. Will this cable work for communicating with an RX3i?

In the past, I used your USB-to-9pin cable along with a 9pin-to-15pin cable to connect to both PLCs.

I assumed they were plugging into the power supply 15 pin ?

I just took the same serial cable, RS485/232 converter and USB/serial converter I always use when I connect to a 90-30 and successfully connected to an Rx3i.

If your customer can't connect, there are a couple of possibilities. The port on the Rx3i could be bad. The port on the Rx3i could be configured to for different settings or a different protocol than the device that's trying to communicate with it.

The key question to ask him is what is on the non-PLC end of the cable. If it is a computer running Proficy Machine Edition, make sure he has set up PME to use the correct COM port to communicate with that target. If it is a non-GE HMI, it is quite likely to be using SNPx for serial communications which the Rx3i does not support.

Steve is correct in that there is no technical reason that the same cable should not work with the any of the 15 pin RS-485 ports in a GE A&C PLC/PAC. Unless there is a miss-match between the protocols or parameters on each end.
The only RX3i CPUs that have 15 pin RS-485 ports also have 9 pin RS-232 ports which should work with a 9-pin straight through cable if the devices on both ends are properly configured.
The RX3i is designed to use mostly Ethernet for communications, the serial ports are there for some backwards compatibility only.
Of course, as always YMMV...

Last edited:
Thank you both as always!

Hey! I'm actually trying to use your GE Fanuc SNP/USB PLC Programming Cable 90/30 90/70 USB cable right now and having no luck. I have previously connected to a 90/30 with it but now I need to talk to a RX3i. I am running PME and the port is configured to COM 8,odd parity, baud 9600. My cable is configured on device manager such that bps is 9600, parity odd, COM 8. I've got the newest drivers installed and device manager shows the cable as USB-SERIAL CH340 (COM 8). We have tested the PLC com port with alternate brand cables and it immediately connects. Any ideas on where to head with this? Thanks

Which Rx3i CPU model do you have?
The COM port settings in PME supersede the Windows settings for the port, so there is no need to match the Device Manager setting in PME. The default baud rate for the port in the Rx3i is 19200. Have you tried that setting in PME?

OK, that's a 90-30 CPU, not an Rx3i. The CPU module doesn't have a serial port so you must be going through the port on the power supply module. Since you stated you have used this cable assembly to communicate with other PLCs, the problem could be in the power supply module. You could try with a different power supply module. Just remember that the battery that backs up the memory is located on the power supply module. Have the new power supply ready to install when you remove the old one from the rack. The capacitor on the CPU module will retain memory for only a few minutes by itself.

Yes, sorry we are going through the serial on the power unit. We had a battery issue on our old power unit that I tried the cable on and then we replaced with the current Rx3i. So not sure what I am doing wrong but this cable specifically isnt working.