Trouble creating runtime in FactoryTalk

kal

Hoping someone can help. I am trying to create a runtime on a program in factorytalk and keep getting an error "unable to save application information" then another pop up "Could not create FactoryTalk directory for CPR version 9.3 for this application." Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Forum!

Which version of FactoryTalk View Studio are you using?

Which version Runtime MER file are you trying to create?

I think CPR 9.3 means that you are using FactoryTalk View Studio v7 or v8?

Regards,
George

Last edited:
widelto,

Just to save you some effort here...

There are multiple specific reasons that may result in the above messages being presented to a user. These causes are not abundantly obvious. By narrowing down the versions at play here I will be able to provide exact information as to the possible causes and solutions available.

In other words, this is not an unknown issue, with which we may suggest general "things to try". There will most likely be one of a known list of causes at fault here, of which I will post in due course.

If you do have a known cause for this specific issue, that you are actively pursuing, then please forgive me and proceed as you were, else I am only trying to save you the effort here, if you are not familiar with this specific issue.

Now someone else "might" jump in and just go ahead and post some of that info outright, and that's fine too, but I'm just trying to save the OP from having to try or rule out several unrelated causes and solutions by narrowing things down first.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
FactoryTalk Version:
Release Number: 6.10.00 CPR 9 SR 4
Patch/Pack Number: 00
Build Number: 09

Trying to create .mer in version 6.10 but it dosen't matter what version I try to create. Also Same problem with other projects.

Also when I try to backup or delete a project it says it may be open elsewhere. If I try copy an application it says check for sufficent disk space, the application is not open elsewhere, the destination does not already exist, the HMIServer could not be located.

I don't see an option to test an individual disply, how do you do that?

Thanks for the help.

kal said:
...I don't see an option to test an individual disply, how do you do that?...

If you want to follow widelto's advice then, and it is no harm to know these things either way...

When you have a Display open in FactoryTalk View Studio, you should see the Graphics Toolbar open. On the left hand side of the Toolbar the first two buttons display the universal Play and Stop icons. You can use these to Play and Stop the Test Display feature for the current Display that has focus. This is limited in that you can see certain graphical functions operate, but not interact with a connected PLC, if you happen to have one...

FTV_Test_Display.PNG

Tested the individual displays and they seem to work individualy. Thanks for sharing.

OK, you are not on as new a version as I had guessed.

These are all newly created applications, yes?

You are not converting from PanelBuilder32 to Factory Talk View ME?

While I await that confirmation I'll start giving you something to try...

See here...

35211 - FactoryTalk View ME: Error - Unable to Save Application Information
Access Level: TechConnect

...specifically Solution 2 - Repair FactoryTalk Services Platform

It is often the case that the FactoryTalk Directory (FTD) is corrupted within FactoryTalk Services Platform (FTSP).

If you do not have a TechConnect Contract to view that article then here is the procedure...

To perform a repair do the following:

Close all Rockwell software products...

Windows XP:
Go to Start>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs...
Highlight "FactoryTalk Services Platform"...
Select Change>Next>Repair>Next>Install...

Windows 7:
Go to Start>Control Panel>Programs and Features...
Highlight "FactoryTalk Services Platform"...
Select Repair at the top of the window...

You should then be prompted to reboot the computer.

Try that and see how you go?

Regards,
George

George:

Thanks for your suggestion, basically I wanted to know if rslinx shortcut was ok(now i know that part is ok). Most of the times I never know how expert the OP is, and in some cases tips can solve the problem.
Though the right questions must be accompanied with as much info as possible (versions, operating system, etc,etc.)
Particulary in this case the OP learned that he must test displays individually before trying to setup the whole application(at least that's what I believe).

william

Not converting from panelbuilder. I did not create programs, I just modify every now and then. I just added a display last month with no problems.
I do not have a techconnect contract. Tried the repair on FT services. Still gets the error.

I am by no means an expert. I went to a 4 day class with Rockwell on FT 3 years ago and the rest has been OJT.
Thanks again for all the help.

OK, another possibility so...

A third party application may have been installed and may have modified the registration of some files located in "C:\Windows\System32".

The following DLL files, from the above directory, may need to be re-registered...

OLEAut32.dll
OLE32.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Msxml.dll
Msxml2.dll
Msxml3.dll
Msxml4.dll

To register the DLL files, download and execute the attached batch file.

Then reboot the computer.

Regards,
George

I did try to reregister those files but still same problem. Ended up having to uninstall and reinstall. It's a pain but at least it is working now. Thank you all for the help.