2 axis system reccomendations

JoeM1

Good Morning,
My company is building a new machine and one system it will need is a X-Y servo operated set of slides. The old machine has a similar system, but the interface for it leaves much to be desired. It is not operator friendly, and requires knowledge of machine shop G-code to be configured. We are not a machine shop, so this is a particular issue.

What I am looking for is something with a more simple interface, and that can be purchased as a complete system. The more "bolt-on" the better.

All ideas are welcome.

You will have to give a few details like speed required, load, length of x and y axis, application, duty cycle, environment the system will be working in, budget, power available, etc, etc , etc. Before anyone can recommend anything.

Ed,
For the time being, let's say 18" for each axis.
Not sure of the exact travel rates, but does not have to move at a fast rate of travel.
Supported load is pretty light, under 5 lbs at most.
This will be in a chamber with a mild vacuum.
208 3 phase is available, other voltages available on request.

I think what you are asking for is a turn-key motion system. I don't think that any exist. Most motion controllers, especially beyond one axis, need to be configured and programmed. Same thing for the HMI.

How mild is the vacuum ?

Bearing lubrication and motor cooling are going to be very different in a vacuum chamber than they are in ordinary atmosphere.

We have both IAI and SMC (the pneumatics company - not sure how big their presence is across the pond) on site. IAI certainly don't give any trouble, however SMC are much cheaper I believe. Both can take a digital input and drive to position (or mapped from a binary truth table of dig. in's) out of the box, the SMC one's you can write your own software for sending commands to. Maybe possible in IAI too, but all our new installs are SMC.