Send Ascii code from PLC

remspot

I have an omron cp1le plc and a sato s84ex printer I need to learn how to send print jobs to it. I know I can use the Serial card option and send the code to the printer over RS232. I am using the NiceLabel software and printing to file which extracts the SBL code. That is where I am stuck. What part of the code do I use and where do I put it in the CX-Programmer. And what instructions should I be learning to send Ascii to the printer. I am very new at all this and just want a few hinters and direction. Thanks.

In order to create the label directly with RS232 you will have to send a series of commands through the port to the printer to design the labels with the data.

We have used a server package called Loftware. We communicate to the PLC to get the data for the label, then use visual basic to dump a file with the data to the Loftware server. The server will then communicate to the Sato printer and print the label.

Hope this helps,

For clarity, for anyone else trying to learn what I am trying to do I opened the settings in CX-Programmer and selected the Serial Port 1 Tab. I selected the standard communications settings (9600, 1, 7, 2, E), Start code set to Disable and Received bytes at 256 and set Mode to RS-232C. I used nicelabel to create a label using SATO fonts and selected the print to file option. This made me save it to a location. I then opened that file with notepad and copied the text. I created a rung in cx programmer with A392.13 and TXD instruction with S=D200 C=#0100 and N=&256

I opened the memory and chose d200 and clicked the "a" symbol to show values in text. I then pasted the previous values in that location. I then wired up a serial cable from the CP1W-CIF01 serial option board to the serial port of the S84-EX printer. I used grand technologies part number GTC99CC diagram to make my own male to male cable.

I loaded all the memory values and program to the PLC and closed W500.00 and the print job sent to the printer.

Now I have to figure how I can hook my computer directly to the PLC and get the print to file to automatically store that code in the D values. Or be able to modify the Dvalues real time through an HMI to change print quantity, etc.