PLC where to start

swami

I want guidence about becoming PLC Technician.
From where to start? :rolleyes:
I am confused about PLC500,SLC 500,RSlogix500 and 5000
I am very good at hard wire relay logic designing
Could u please guide me.
Thanks
:)

Swami,

looks as if you've only heard about AB. The terms you're throwing at us are very simple to explain:
  • RSLogix 5 is the software to program PLC5 (and not PLC500). This PLC is a somewhat older, but not obsolete yet.
  • SRLogix 500 is the software used to program SLC500 and MicroLogix PLC's. These are somewhat newer than PLC5.
  • RSLogix 5000 is the newest member of the family. It is the software used to program the newest families of controllers from AB: ControlLogix, CompactLogix, SoftLogix and DriveLogix.
Please note that my answer can be incomplete because I'm only working with AB since two years. The major PLC I've used is Siemens.

Kind regards,

Relays

Swami, if you are good with designing hardwire relay systems, you have the best fundamental base a person could have. A lot of people, including myself aren't efficient at troubleshooting complex "older" relay systems, we just don't work them on a daily basis.

A good place to start, is obviously the tutorial on this site. Then go to manufacturers websites and download manuals for the PLC/HMI components. Commonly they have sample programs in the manuals, which are typically downloadable PDF files and are usually pretty easy to understand.

Good luck!

Greg

Why PLC at all?

I have a different opinion on the subject of being a PLC tech.
The thing is why would you want to be in the field that by all accounts is shrinking fast (at least here in the USA, not in China).
Manufacturing in the USA just a few years ago comprised 18% of GDP,
currently it is down to 14% and going lower.
Do you plan to relocate to China? If you go on to www.bls.gov
"bureau of labor statistics" you will see that electrical engineering is under pressure due to outsourcing. The growth prospects are below
average. I know number of IT people out of a job with little or no
prospect of getting one. (Apart from Best Buy, Home Depot etc.)
My advise is go to medical field. If you want to be in technology
then specialize in medical field related technology.

Maybe I am blind Jiri, but in my area there is actually a demand for people that can actually sit down and write/troubleshoot on PLCs. In todays market every manufacturer is trying to find ways to increase production and what better way than automation. At my place of employment they are constantly asking "Is this the easiest way?" And most often the answer is no. Our plant does a lot of manual work putting packages together. Traditionally this would be a job sent to Mexico where the labor cost is lower. However now they are realizing that why pay a lower labor cost and provide those workers benefits when they can automate the process and pay two poeple to run it a shift versus 20 poeple to do it by hand. And besides, machines will always need to be repaired/tweaked. Would you rather fly in Whatshisname from Istanbul or get Bob from Bob's Automation?
My advice to you Swami would be to (1) Click on the link above, (2)Buy Phil's book, and (3) Find a local community college that offers courses in PLC.

Just my thoughts
Dale

I think I agree "in general" with Jiri's evaluation. I am not an engineer but do perform tasks many of them normally do. Where I reside the emphasis is more on mechanical than technical....actually they want you to do it all but the grunt work is more important to them.

Its funny that Jiri mentioned China but I think its because he has been keeping up with current events. I have more or less been offered several opportunities that would require spending ALOT of time in China.

To this date I have never seen a PLC engineer or tech position, usually the PLC aspect is part of an engineer's position with ALOT more duties involved. In alot of industry the "technician" is being pushed aside as non essential.