18 years experience

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've been writing plc code for 18 years.
I still don't know enough.
Is this a bad place to look for a job?
Hard to find non *******s in this industry to work for.
And all the jobs seem to be consultant jobs where they bill you out for 100 to 150/hr and pay you 35.

I'd think after 18 years you'd have a good grasp of the basics of PLC logic and be able to adapt more readily.

Every place programs just a bit differently.

Those 18 years, all in one place, or multiple places?

I've been at this for 10 years now, started fresh out of college. But it's been 10 years in one location. I know a lot about the specific style of programming we do here. I know there is a lot more out there that I don't know. But I would hope that my experience has given me a foundation that would allow me to learn and adapt to a new area if the need arose.

I've been writing plc code for 18 years.
I still don't know enough.
Been doing this for 22 years & I'm still learning! Rest assured, there've been days were I feel like a complete incompetent who's destined for a future in fast food service. Then I take slow, deep breaths and realize that's a load of baloney & I DO have something to contribute.

Is this a bad place to look for a job?
Hard to find non *******s in this industry to work for.
And all the jobs seem to be consultant jobs where they bill you out for 100 to 150/hr and pay you 35.
As other's have said, a decent LinkedIn profile will get opportunities rolling in. They often come in waves. I cannot speak for the quality of said opportunities. Caveat emptor.

More importantly, take stock of what you do know & WHO you know. Most of my job offers have come through someone I've worked with in the past. They knew my reputation, skill set & work ethic.

Up until recently, I've worked for various systems integrators/OEMs where the owner worked down the hall from my cube. I can assure you there's a good reason for the disparity between what they charge & what they pay (insurances, utilities, taxes, etc.). There are some bad apples out there but some are more than fair with their compensation.