HMI Pad By Sweetwilliam

Gary Lee D

Gday All,
Did a bit of a search on the forums and no luck finding any info on this but Im wondering if anyone has used and can recommend a Scada/HMI App suited to an Ipad.
I have just completed a Dual 55kw Pumping system for a customer which is controlled by a Micrologix 1400 and a PVP700.

He is now wanting remote access to the system to control and view data etc.
I have found a App by Sweetwilliam called HMI Pad but have never used it before and would love some feedback from anyone who has, or if you recommend another App.

Or is there a better way of doing this by say remote access to the existing PVP700 which I gather would then save me designing/programming a new set of screens etc in a App.
Also would save me working out issues with such items as latching buttons which I have used on the existing screen.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Cheers

When you say "remote access", do you mean while on site or away? Either way could be done with the PVP700's Viewpoint application. Onsite the PVP would have to be connected to a network and the Ipad connected to the same network wirelessly.

For offsite, the PVP would have to be connected to the internet and I would suggest a secure VPN connection.

Either way, you would publish the HMI pages to the Viewpoint application for remote viewing. I would suggest upgrading your PVP firmware and applying all available patches.

I would like to have complete control remotely. That being both while on site and off site but connected to the PLC/PVP via a 3G modem. So even though I am new to remote access side of things I am aware that I will need to install a 3G Modem/Router.
The PVP is upgraded to the latest version (5.2) available for the existing comms module(2711P-RP2).

Also I have not had any experience with Viewpoint so sorry if any of the following seems like silly questions but your input would be appreciated. I have done a bit of research and come up with the following and hopefully you can shed some light for me.

1. My original Application was created using FactoryTalk View Studio Version 7. From what I have read I would need to upgrade to v8.10.00 or later. As well as obviously install Viewpoint and Publish the pages, create a new MER file and download to the PVP700, etc etc (using ME not SE)

2. When logged into the published web application does this disable the actual PVP700 from operation/interaction or do they work in unison? Reason for this is that I have used latched Push Buttons within the PVP and can see that this could cause issues. Also what happens when logging out of the web application to these latched buttons, do they remain in the state the web app left them or return to the state that the PVP has them?

3. I read the following paragraph within this manual
"You cannot start and stop HMI components. For example, a numeric input object with a tag connection will display the tag's current value, but will not permit downloads." http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/qs/ftvp-qs002_-en-e.pdf
It appears that Numeric inputs that I have used for selecting the set pressure would not be adjustable via Viewpoint.

Sorry for the lengthy post but as mentioned I have never used Viewpoint before.

Thanks for you input so far.

Cheers

Gary,

I am by no means an expert on this but will give you my experience:

1) My app was created in Studio 7 and downloaded as a 6.10 mer since that's the firmware the unit had. So I don't think upgrading to 8.20 has any benefit especially if your PVP can't be upgraded to that level. I'm not sure how far you can upgrade your firmware-the manual I see is from 2009. I did upgrade my logic module to a PVP6 for some reason that I can't exactly recall.

2) Using the web app shouldn't affect the PVP. Either can control as long as your not fighting each other attempting the same functions. No issues when logging off either. It's almost like having 2 PVP's in parallel.

3) I don't know if it's version dependent, but I can start/stop and change a numeric input remotely. The customer logs on remotely and does this.

Hope this helps a little. You may get some more suggestions on here or if you have a local rep I suggest telling him "here's what I have, and here's what I want to do!"

I use the C-More OITs from Automation Direct. They have an interface over ethernet to iPad, IPhone, and PC that is free to install and use. You can do everything on the iPAD that you could do if you were standing in front of the terminal. However, it does not help if you are trying to forego the OIT and use and iPAD only.

Gary,

I am by no means an expert on this but will give you my experience:

1) My app was created in Studio 7 and downloaded as a 6.10 mer since that's the firmware the unit had. So I don't think upgrading to 8.20 has any benefit especially if your PVP can't be upgraded to that level. I'm not sure how far you can upgrade your firmware-the manual I see is from 2009. I did upgrade my logic module to a PVP6 for some reason that I can't exactly recall.
5.2 is the highest this module can be upgraded to without going to the PVP6 module. The way I read the manual on Viewpoint was that it was a add on software package only compatible to FT8.2

2) Using the web app shouldn't affect the PVP. Either can control as long as your not fighting each other attempting the same functions. No issues when logging off either. It's almost like having 2 PVP's in parallel.
thats what I'm worried about cause the latched buttons I have used are latched on the screen and not with the logic in PLC, hence my concern.

3) I don't know if it's version dependent, but I can start/stop and change a numeric input remotely. The customer logs on remotely and does this.
thats great to know, so my main concern is the buttons then

Hope this helps a little. You may get some more suggestions on here or if you have a local rep I suggest telling him "here's what I have, and here's what I want to do!"

have a great local rep and will talk to him on Monday, just wanted to throw it out here for a variety of options/opinions.
Really appreciate your input. Been a great help
Cheers

I use the C-More OITs from Automation Direct. They have an interface over ethernet to iPad, IPhone, and PC that is free to install and use. You can do everything on the iPAD that you could do if you were standing in front of the terminal. However, it does not help if you are trying to forego the OIT and use and iPAD only.

I have only just completed and commissioned this system a couple of weeks ago with a PVP700 and ML1400 so wouldn't be changing hardware.
I want to retain the PVP for local control and an IPad for remote.
I did have a quick look at those HMI's though and they look pretty smick.
Cheers

dginbuffalo I spoke with my local rep and he agreed that using viewpoint would cause issues with such items as the latched buttons due to conflicts between each screens state.
He also said that the version FTV that I use will designate the version Viewpoint that I need to use.
Also the only version Viewpoint that is compatible with the firmware I have in the screen is not functional on Safari (ipad browser).
His suggestion was to upgrade my Logic Module to PVP6 and then use VNC to control the existing screens.
This would alleviate any conflict issues but obviously theres the cost of the module.

Will report back what I go with and the results.
Anymore suggestions welcome.
Cheers

Gary,

Thanks for the followup. Yes- it appears the only Safari friendly version they're touting is the new 8.10 version of Viewpoint. I still get mixed results when i search for info on Viewpoint and your latching pushbuttons. It's kind of a bummer that this is a new system and you have to upgrade to do what you need to do. What's the full part # of your HMI anyways? I've started to steer a lot of HMI projects over to Red Lion. Once it's starts to grow on you, I find it better in a number of ways. You'd click one radio button to enable the web server. No version issues, half the price, free software and easy protocol conversion if needed. Ok-rant over! Let us know how you make out.

Well I will be receiving a PVP6 Logic Module later today and proceed to set it utilising VNC.
Firstly I am simply going to connect it to my office router and attempt to access it via WIFI and my Ipad.
Once I have managed to get this running then I will look at what modem to utilise on site and a VPN (another learning experience for me lol)

The Part# is 2711P-T7C4D2. (2711P-RDT7C Display with 2711P-RP2 Logic Module)
Id be hesitant to change screens for this project and future projects until I at least utilise the several screens I have in stock (3 off PVP15's, 1 off PVP1250, 1 off PVP600) Cause as you can imagine that's a few dollars just sitting there.
Oh well off to research VPNs now.
Cheers again mate

Sounds like your on your way!

The last PVP+ we did while we were onsite, we would just connect through wifi to the viewpoint application.

Remotely we used both VPN/VNC and VPN/Viewpoint to connect. Reason being is because 2 people needed access at once and Viewpoint only supports one connection at a time.

Originally this site didn't have an internet connection, so for VPN access we used a Phoenix 3G cell modem with a SIM card and built in VPN. After they got broadband, we ditched the Phoenix and just used a Sophos router with built in VPN.