Adding a node to DH-485

Greetings all!

I've got a point-to-point DH485 network running from a SLC 5/03 to a Panelview 600. I want to add a node to this.

My question is, what do I need to accomplish this wiring-wise? Do I need to add a 1747-AIC? Three AIC's? What exactly does the AIC do, anyway?

Thanks!

TM

Hi RS, thanks for the reply :)

I've already got that manual, thanks. What I'm trying to sort out is little grammatical tidbits like:

"You must install a link coupler for each non-isolated node on the network"

Does this mean if my device has it's own isolation I don't need a link coupler? Is the coupler serving some purpose besides just isolation?

Yeh, I'm being a cheap ******* here. I'm trying to do a little internal SCADA test, and keep it under $10K, so the $700+ for three 1747-AIC's is a bit more than I'd like to spring at this point.

Have you ever gotten away without using the couplers?

Thanks!

TM

Possible answer

I just got off the phone with Equustech, the guys who make the module I listed earlier. Their unit has built in isolation, and according to them, all I need is an RJ-45 Tee into the Panelview/SLC line and I'm ready to rock and roll.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks!

TM

I stated, but seem to have erased, that its a daisy chain trunkline system that you can "splice or tee into. I have never gotten to use an AIC that I can recall but have worked with a few DH and DH+ networks but it is my understanding that the 1747-AIC is required in some cases, using a KTX or KTXD card for example.

I was trying more or less to keep the thread high waiting on the AB guys to chime in.

Thanks guys!

RS, I find it reassuring that you've worked on DH-485 systems without the benefit of the AIC - it gives me hope I'm on the right track :)

Say, where'd all our AB guys go? Must be on vacation! :D

Tom, I saw the first link also, but the second was new to me. Thanks for pointing it out. Since my module has built-in isolation and it's own power, I think I'm covered from the issues they brought up there.

Thanks again!

TM