RS Logic 500 back up

XxLinkxX

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows how to disable the automatic back up files the RS Logic 500 creates. I seem to have 7-8 files of back ups for each of my programs.

Put zero in number of backups , uncheck "Autosave" if you want, see pictures below.. (click-tools-option in RSLogix)

no_backups.png

Last edited:
XxLinkxX,

I strongly advise against changing the number of backups to zero. The reason is
to give you a buffer against blunders, oh no!, oh **** situations, and customers saying that's not what I wanted, go back to the way it was statements.

putting the value at 0 gives you no opportunity to recover from those situations and you have to retrace your steps adding more work for you. I have mine set at a larger value. I delete the backups later.

regards,
james

Last edited:
XxLinkxX,

I strongly advise against changing the number of backups to zero. The reason is
to give you a buffer against blunders, oh no!, oh **** situations, and customers saying that's not what I wanted, go back to the way it was statements.

putting the value at 0 gives you no opportunity to recover from those situations and you have to retrace your steps adding more work for you. I have mine set at a larger value. I delete the backups later.

regards,
james
Hey james, thanks for the heads up. At the moment im just learning PLC. But I can see what you mean. good to have a back up.........literally. lol

I disabled backups on my systems because I found other users were using the BAK files as the working project... Big changes, rev levels added, etc. All with the BAK file. It made me sigh when I discovered it.

So now there is just one file in the project folder. The latest rev copy of the running machine, and that is it. No backups saved in the same folder, no old rev levels, etc. Old backups or rev levels are stored elsewhere.

My development location is another story. I keep my rev levels together and can go back through old copies, etc. But I keep that separate from the active running machines to avoid other users being confused by having multiple rev levels or backup copies.