CompactLogix 1769-L16ER-BB1B startup

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm still very much a novice, so if you're kind enough to offer help, bear it in mind and take nothing for granted!

I've just powered-up a brand new 1769-L16ER-BB1B with 4 Point-I/O modules (2 x 1734-IB8, 1734-IE2C & 1734-OE4C) for the first time. Using RSLogix5000 V20.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 5), I connected via USB and downloaded the application to it then assigned it an IP address. I'm now connecting via Ethernet.

My problem is that the I/O LED is flashing green once per second and I can't switch it into run.

When I click 'Discover modules' the resulting dialog has a red flag next to the 1769-L16ER-BB1B and 'Discovered module does not match module in project'. I've double-checked the part number and it's definitely correct.

There was a yellow label on the front of the L16 saying it needed updating to version 20.014 or later. I think I did it but it was a few weeks ago so I can't be sure. Looking at available firmware on the Rockwell site the filename for the 20.014 firmware download is 1769-L1y_20.014 Firmware Kit.zip and I have that file in my Downloads folder and the unzipped files also. So I did almost certainly update it.

If I right click on '[1] Embedded discrete IO' under I/O Configuration/PointIO/Embedded I/O and click Properties, on the Module Info tab it reports revision 20.14. On the General tab of the same dialog the Module Definition is set to Compatible Module. The Status at the bottom of the dialog is reported as 'Running'. When I change the Module Definition setting from Compatible Module to Exact Match the status changes to 'Updating firmware'. After several minutes nothing happens though.

Any ideas? What does the flashing I/O LED mean? Is it a firmware issue?

Last edited:
The fact that you can not put the processor into RUN mode indicates that a significant problem exists in your system. Verify your firmware revision by opening your Controller Organizer window and finding the icon that represents your processor (should be labeled "1769-L16.....). Right click on that icon and select "Properties" on the menu that appears. Your firmware revision number should be listed beside "Revision." If that is reading 20.014, you probably have an issue with the module or its connection.

After a nearly two hour call to Rockwell technical support where they had me remove the Point I/O modules, reflash the controller firmware and several other diagnostic procedures, eventually I created a blank project and downloaded that. That sorted out the I/O LED. I added the Point I/O modules back on and into the configuration. Then I copied & pasted the logic back in a routine at a time until I was back where I started. The I/O LED remained off and I can now run. They could only suggest that somehow the project files got corrupted. So not really any the wiser.

Oh boy...

I have just finished "composing" two full posts worth of "help" and "information" on your issue, and was just about to post them up when you came back saying you're sorted. šŸ™ƒ

Slam dunked in to the Recycle Bin...good night! :sleep:

G.