Machine tools

Mk12

Hello everyone, I am very new to machine tools and would like to know how they are normally controlled? Any help please?

Thank you Steve. In general terms, what are the main variables that need to be considered when controlling machine tools? and how are they monitored ?

Steve Bailey gave a good overview. I just wanted to pop in and say howdy to someone whose username is almost the same as mine.

What's up, brother?

He did indeed, even though I would love to know a bit more details.
I also found it very strange :D , I thought I could have come and joined the sites ages go without knowing lol.

The variables that need to be considered depend on the job the tool is doing.
Consider this. An electric drill is a simple machine tool. What parameters does it give you control over? Ask the same question about the other tools in your shop.

MK12,

Here goes.
Lets say you buy a 25 tool cnc mill with controller. Before you can use the cnc mill, you must load the tool rack with the cutters you want to use. In order to do that, you must put secure the cutter to the tool holder, define the tool in the system, and then load the tool into the index.

You then can program the cnc mill to do whatever you want on the display screen and specify the tool.

As far as cad cam software goes, I THINK (note I said think) you must also define the tool in the software before sending the program to the cnc mill.

hope this helps,
james

Machine tools is too broad

If it just has motors on it, relays or PLC's (programmable logic controller) are most common.
Example milling machine with spindle and feeds are motor/gear driven or combo of both.

If feeds are controlled by servo motors and not much interaction between axis it needs a motion control system. This could still be PLC controlled.

If it has to compute how to get all axis from point A to B it will usually be a CNC ( computerized numeric control ) machine that can figure things out very fast.