Ethernet over Controlnet

Bassem Elazab

Hello,

I know my question can be very basic but I need your help.
We have Versa View here connected to PLC via ControlNet and then we have remote HMI connected to Versa View via Ethernet.
Is it possible that the remote HMI can read/write to the PLC through this Versa view
Both Versa view and Remote HMI are using RSLinx Classic

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum !

There are two common ways to accomplish what you are describing.

The first is to use "Remote OPC", in which the installation of RSLinx Classic on the VersaView computer functions as the OPC Server to a the remote computer. The data passing between computers will be entirely via OPC functions.

The second is to install an RSLinx Classic Gateway license on the VersaView computer. That will allow RSLinx on the remote computer to use the local VersaView's ControlNet driver as though it was on the remote computer. The driver the remote computer uses would be the "Remote Devices via RSLinx Gateway".

What's even more common is to simply share the screen of the local computer via some sort of remote desktop protocol or program, so that the remote computer users can view the software running on the local computer.

That may or may not fit your needs.

Ken,

Thanks for your reply.
For the first option (Remote OPC)
Can you please give more steps on how to do so.

For the second option, Yes I do have RSlinx gateway installed on the Local HMI and the remote HMI
You mentioned that I need to use driver "Remote Device via RSLinx gateway" on the remote HMI but how about the local HMI do I need to configure anything there? and in this case I don't need to configure the Ethernet driver on the remote HMI and only use the Gateway driver?

Sorry for the many questions

I can answer about the second option more easily.

In the local VersaView computer, you need to enable RSLinx Gateway function.

From the RSLinx Classic GUI, select "Communications", then "Configure Gateway" and check the "Enable RSLinx Gateway" box. You must then shutdown and restart RSLinx Classic on that PC.

On the remote computer, use the "Remote Devices via Linx Gateway". You will configure that driver with the IP address of the VersaView, and then get a list of the configured drivers in the VersaView to choose from. One of those will be your ControlNet driver.

Remote OPC is tricky to set up and I haven't used it in a while. You should be able to find some tutorials on it or some info from the RSLinx Classic documentation.