5555 message to NET-ENI

ygnm

ok fellas, i have another question that i cant quite seem to find an answer for. i am trying to write to a net eni that is connected through the ethernet from a 5555. i cant seem to figure out what exact message type and destination element i need to use. i am trying to write to node 248 of the net eni to reset it because it locks up constantly due to stale connections. any help anybody can offer will be greatly appreciated.

it locks up constantly due to stale connections.

How sure are you that the problem is "stale" connections ? Where are the extra connections coming from ? Have you telnetted into the Net-ENI to verify the connection count when it's in a "locked up" condition ? Have you updated the Net-ENI to the newest firmware for its Series ?

If the Net-ENI is in a "locked up" condition, will it accept a connection from the ControlLogix ?

I'm asking this flurry of questions because I've never seen somebody successfully address a Net-ENI stability or capacity problem by resetting it over the network.

In general, I think DF1 addresses are only considered on the serial side of the Net-ENI. From the EtherNet/IP side, it's just a single target.

What I would try is to use a CIP Generic message and send a "Reset Module" service to the Net-ENI to see if that reboots it. You don't need a target address or data payload for the Reset Module service, just a target.

Remember that the Net-ENI should never be in the I/O tree of a ControlLogix; you'll have to enter the CIP Path by hand.

there are 2 panelview pluses that are polling the 5/03 through the net eni but they sit on the same page all day everyday because no one bothers to look at them. thats why i assumed they are stale connections. we also have ilink polling data through the eni. i used to have my wonderware polling through it as well but there was 0 functionality with that many connections. right now its locked up and i cant access the plc but i can access the web page for the eni. currently it shows 0 connections. and it is indeed updated to the latest firmware. i will give the reboot option you listed a shot and see if that will help any. i am trying to order a 5/05 to put in place over there which would eliminate all of these issues but i dont know if that is going to happen or not. i will let you know how it turns out. right now i am having issues communicating with the controllogix as well and i wont be able to get to the actual devices for a few days. thank you for the info though.

[/quote]Remember that the Net-ENI should never be in the I/O tree of a ControlLogix; you'll have to enter the CIP Path by hand.[/quote]
can you elaborate on that a little?

The Net-ENI was intended to allow an HMI and an RSLogix session to connect to non-Ethernet MicroLogix controllers. Loading it up with two HMIs and a data collector plus something else.. you run out of connections even when everything goes right. Your plan to get an SLC-5/05 into this application is a good one.

Remember that the Net-ENI should never be in the I/O tree of a ControlLogix

Some people trying to connect Net-ENI and ControlLogix somehow decide to put the Net-ENI into the ControlLogix I/O tree as a generic module, which doesn't do anything because that's not how they work.

Or, I should say "doesn't do anything good", because it does cause the ControlLogix to attempt to create an I/O connection, which fails repeatedly but uses up connection resources in the Net-ENI and the ControlLogix.

you'll have to enter the CIP Path by hand

One of the reasons I've seen people put the Net-ENI into the I/O tree is so that they would have an easy-to-click-on target for the Path tab of the MSG configuration window.

Instead, you have to enter the CIP Path by hand.

In general, it's "1, Slot, 2, IPAddress"

Where Slot is the slot number of the 1756-EN_T module in the ControlLogix, and IPAddress is the IP Address of the 1761-NET-ENI.

The 1 means "from the CPU out the backplane port" and the 2 means "from the Ethernet module out the network port". The commas are part of the syntax.

ok i will give it a whirl. i havent been able to get and stay connected to it long enough to make any changes. there is something strange going on on the network over there and i havent been able to nail it down yet. i am thinking i have a loop but i have been over it time and time again. i will get it straight one of these days. Thanks again.