DC motor torque % formula

bwiring

Can anyone help me with a formula for % torque of a dc motor. The application is a extrusion machine with a dc drive powering the motor. My customer needs to display the % torque of the output shaft of the motor/gearbox. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Can anyone help me with a formula for % torque of a dc motor. The application is a extrusion machine with a dc drive powering the motor. My customer needs to display the % torque of the output shaft of the motor/gearbox. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

On the motor datasheet / nameplate, you should see a rated speed and current draw. I don't do much with large DC motors but with smaller units (< 1.5HP), at 100% of the rated current draw, the motor will output 100% of the rated torque.

It is assuming the field current is held constant at full nameplate current. Then shaft torque is directly proportional to Armature Amps with full load nameplate amps being 100% and Full Load torque being calculated from nameplate hp and nameplate base speed.

I am going to assume there is a DC drive running the motor. You should be able to set up an analog output to give you torque. You might even be able to directly access that parameter from the HMI via comms.

please see attached figure

This is what I talked about ,one of your DC drive analog analog outputs can be configured for torque display. This case is a poweflex DC dive, please check yours. That output can be connected to your PLC.