Incrementing Alpha Numeric Serial

CraigTRD

Hello World,
I am having difficulty incrementing a serial number that needs to start at 0, and go through Z. (After 9, comes A).
The serial number is a String. Is that right? If not, what should it be, please?
What is the command to move the letter "A" into a Serial_1.DATA[8]?

RSLogix 5000

Thanks in advance!

Set up a SOURCE_STRING with "0123..ABC..XYZ" in it. Set up an "index" DINT.

Start the index at 0 and increment it up to 35.

For each increment do
MOV SOURCE_STRING.DATA[index] Serial_1.DATA[8]

You decide what to do after reaching 35 on the index, restart at 0?

Since character '9' (dec 57) and character 'A' (dec 65) are not sequential in the ASCII table you'll need to cobble together some logic to accommodate that quirk. As far as moving to the string, MOV N7:0 ST9:0.DATA[0] works in the pre-CLX processors.

I was working on this, as you guys were replying. This is what I have come up with. Not sure if it will work, as I am not online with the PLC....but I think it will. It makes sense, with what GaryS said. It also explains why I was getting a colon, instead of an "A". I'll try it out ASAP. Thanks to everyone for the ideas! I'm always looking for better/slicker ways to do code.
PLC.PNG

Just in case it wasn't obvious my statement

Set up a SOURCE_STRING with "0123..ABC..XYZ" in it. Set up an "index" DINT.

Means create SOURCE_STRING with the contents "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"

No need to test anything at the 9-A transition point.

Last edited:
Just in case it wasn't obvious my statement

Means create SOURCE_STRING with the contents "0123456789ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"

No need to test anything at the 9-A transition point.

That's what I thought you meant, and when I tried it, it doesn't seem to work. It won't let me adjust the value circled in blue:
PLC1.PNG

Don't try to change the individual characters.

Just click the area after Source_String (which now shows '1') - Not Source_String.DATA[0] - just Source_String above the .LEN entry.

You'll get a grey button with an ellipsis (triple period). Click that button to get a 'String Browser' window. Just type in the 36 character string and click OK.

Edit - I see now that you get the ellipsis button even if you click in a character area. It shows the string with the cursor just before the specific character. I've never done it that way. Interesting.

Last edited: