'Human error' caused Alton Towers crash

Interesting

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-34911943

"The safety control system was manually overridden" with people on the ride.

Really clever, reboot a system that has gravity controlled devices moving whilst its running.

I have to admit I would have thought such an operation would have been blocked without all the cars homed, unless they just pulled the plug......

It sounds very poor to me. It sounds like the control system correctly identified a dangerous condition and stopped the ride because a preceding carriage had not cleared the path of a following carriage. An operator was then able to initiate an over-ride that caused the crash. Normally, such dangerous actions exist only to commission equipment and are restricted by password.

The Final HSE report will make interesting reading.

Nick