AB FTView ME - "Focus"

Maximuse

I have an issue with a PV+1250 Keypad & Touch. I believe this issue has to do with the "focus" attribute but I may be wrong. What happens is that when an alarm occurs, the alarm screen pops up and is closed with a function key (or by touching the close button). After closing the alarm screen for some reason I am no longer able to use any of the function keys on my previous screen (before the alarm screen popped). I'm thinking this is due to the fact the the focus never reverted back to the previous screen after the alarm banner was closed. If I physically touch the screen after the alarm banner is closed, the function keys work normally so I think this supports my theory. Question: Is there a fix for this so the function keys always work?

Under properties...

Your Alarm Banner should already be set as an On Top Display Type.

It should also be set to "Cannot Be Replaced".

For Touch, or Touch/Keypad terminals, the norm is to set On Top Displays to have their "Disable Initial Input Focus" setting checked and all Replace Displays have this setting unchecked.

When the On Top Display is closed, the next touch of the underlying Replace Display will return the focus to that Display.

But, even though you have a Touch/Keypad terminal, you seem to be looking for the norm when using Keypad only terminals?...

For Keypad only terminals, the opposite is used. The norm is to set On Top Displays to have their "Disable Initial Input Focus" setting unchecked and all Replace Displays have this setting checked.

If the On Top Display is closed the focus is automatically returned to the underlying Replace Display by default. So a touch focus return should not be required and the Function Keys should have the focus once again.

Regards,
George

Yes keen assumptions George. Bear in mind I am new to this company so I'm not sure why they went with a Keypad/Touch version instead of Keypad only but you are 100% correct, they basically only want keypad functionality. That's something that I can perhaps tackle on future deployments but for now I am in a quandary. I have tried playing with the settings as you have described and came to nearly the same conclusion. When I set the alarm banner to "On Top" but disable its focus as you describe I can't use the function keys to close it! The function keys are active for the screen "behind" it still. The only way I have found to get around this is to physically touch the screen I want to control but I have been told by a particular customer that this is very annoying (and I agree with him).

Are you sure you have is set correctly?...

Maximuse said:
..When I set the alarm banner to "On Top" but disable its focus as you describe I can't use the function keys to close it...

...That means you have that setting checked...

Geospark said:
...For Keypad only terminals, the opposite is used. The norm is to set On Top Displays to have their "Disable Initial Input Focus" setting unchecked and all Replace Displays have this setting checked.

Forget you have touch for a minute here...

For a keypad only terminal, if you "Disable Initial Input Focus" for an On Top Display, and it opens on top, then it will not take the focus. The focus will remain with the underlying Replace Display. So you now have no focus for the On Top Display and so you cannot close it.

So for Keypad only terminals, you must leave that setting unchecked so it can take the focus when it opens on top. Now you can close it with a Function Key.

Remeber, for Keypad only, the Replace Displays should have that setting checked.

For Keypad only terminals, the closing of the On Top Display, by using a Function Key, should automatically return the focus to the underlying Replace Display by default.

This is how it should work for Keypad only terminals. For a touch/Keypad terminal, if the above settings do not automatically return the focus when you close the On Top Display, then maybe it does not work the same, and you must use a touch action to return the focus?

I'm sure I've used different combinations over the years, but I'm not in a position right now to test that for you on a touch/Keypad terminal.

Try what I've said in this post (if you haven't already) and if it still will not return the focus automatically then I think you have your answer?

Regards,
George

Hadn't had a chance to thoroughly test this until now...Something very strange is at work here. I have multiple applications (all very similar as this is for a standard machine that we produce). All applications function properly except the one in question. I've scoured every checkbox/setting I can find and haven't been able to find any discrepancies or reasons why this one app is behaving differently. I've been downloading each app to the same physical terminal to eliminate a hardware setting so it's definitely the application itself. No idea where to go from here.