FTV SE - Open Display by Event - Help Please

Marzipani

I'm trying to make a display open triggered by an Event, but I keep getting:
"The command 'Display' is ignored when issued from the development environment or an HMI Server"
This is a Stand-Alone SE system: one machine is the HMI server and client. (I must be confused).
My PLC communications are setup and working. When I set the bit in the PLC (a 'new alarm' bit), I want my 'Alarm Summary' display to open.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

FTV SE 8.0 StandAlone with CompactLogix

I'm trying to make a display open triggered by an Event, but I keep getting:
"The command 'Display' is ignored when issued from the development environment or an HMI Server"
This is a Stand-Alone SE system: one machine is the HMI server and client. (I must be confused).
My PLC communications are setup and working. When I set the bit in the PLC (a 'new alarm' bit), I want my 'Alarm Summary' display to open.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

FTV SE 8.0 StandAlone with CompactLogix

Your going to have to have a background screen(gfx) run a VBA script to do it.

Trust me.....there is no other way.

The lack of client side tags and client side events is a major PIA.

Seems you're right. Read many related posts. Ridiculous. Such a basic function.

I'm VBA clueless. Thoughts on why this script doesn't work?
I've tried ExecuteCommand and ShowDisplay, and variations... No luck. (others claimed to use those commands). PLC coms are good.

Private Sub DisplayAlarmSummary()
If NewAlarm = True Then 'where NewAlarm is an FTV digital tag in the root folder, tied to a PLC bit
Application.ExecuteCommand ("Display AlarmSummary") 'where AlarmSummary is the display name
'ShowDisplay (AlarmSummary)
End If
End Sub

Another thing to remember is that VBA is not cyclic like a PLC program. Something has to call that sub. You can put the NewAlarm tag "on scan" and run a sub when it changes, or you can use the seconds/minutes tags to trigger a check every second/minute.

I have done this a while back for a slightly different reason, it was a huge pain. If I have time later on I'll dig out the code I used, but in the meantime, here's a link to the thread where I got some very useful help from the kind folks here

Here's some of my VBA code for this. I've had to go through and pick it out of a huge mass of code, so hopefully I haven't missed any things!

This code is attached to a display that is always running.

Code:
'General Declarations
Public WithEvents EventTriggerTags As TagGroup 'Define tag group for event triggers
Dim Sample1Req, Sample2Req As Tag

Public Sub Display_AnimationStart()
Dim TagsInError As StringList
If EventTriggerTags Is Nothing Then
    Set EventTriggerTags = Application.CreateTagGroup(Me.AreaName, 500)
    Set Sample1Req = EventTriggerTags.Add("Events\Sample1Req")
    Set Sample2Req = EventTriggerTags.Add("Events\Sample2Req") 'Events\Sample1Req is a HMI tag linked to the PLC tag that I turn on to trigger the event
    EventTriggerTags.Active = True
    EventTriggerTags.RefreshFromSource TagsInError
End If

Private Sub EventTriggerTags_Change(ByVal TagNames As IGOMStringList)
On Error GoTo errHandler
Select Case HostNumber 'I'm checking here which client is running the code, and only displaying the popup on selected clients. You'll need to remove the Select Case stuff

Case 2 'Set up events for X2 HMI Only
        If Sample1Req.Value = 1 Then
            ShowDisplay ("popup_sampling1")
        End If

Case 3 'Set up events for X3 HMI Only
        If Sample2Req.Value = 1 Then
            ShowDisplay ("popup_sampling2")
        End If

End Select

Hope that gets you somewhere!

Hi Guys. Yes, a colleague had just recommended me the workaround of using visibility rather than VBA to accomplish this. Wayyyy easier. I'm shaking my head at my ability to over complicate things.

I know I'll have to call up the alarm screen with a startup macro and keep it cached (and the 'exit' button on that screen will actually set the visibility tag false.

ASF, thank you for that. I intend to give that a go as well, none the less. I have another unrelated VBA function to setup with mostly ready logic from elsewhere, so when I figure out one I may get the other. (I'd be happy to pay someone to remote in and step me through it... my contacts here are busy busy, like me).
Again, I'm VBA clueless. A mech engineer background, not programming. I'm all about the GUIs. :)
Have a great day guys.

Correction:

There IS no such display visibility/animation option for the display itself (that I can find).
AND, an AlarmSummary object (as in, the built-in HMI tag alarm summary object) or group containing one has its visibility option greyed out. No luck again.

Hmm. Rdrast suggested the visibility option, and for all his barely-concealed hatred of FTView, he's not often wrong about what it can and can't do ;) is there something we're missing rdrast?

In any case, calling the display with VBA will definitely work, if you have a play with that I'll try to pop back in and help where I can :)

@ASF Much appreciated. But I'm satisfied with my work-around. I've dedicated a portion of my main screens to permanently show a condensed AlarmSummary object (ie. banner). It works well, actually. Given I bought the 19" screen :)
I learned that has become the standard SE alarm 'viewing' approach at my old company. For this reason.
I'll get to the VBA... only after I commission the rest of this plant!

M

@rdrast - Mostly because that's what I'm used to. And I wanted to keep things simple for the plant operators. I dabbled with A&E and it seemed unable to display my device tag names as it's own column. That annoyed me. Then I couldn't deselect some of its features that I didn't want visible to users. So I went with what I know. And it's well. I may try again down the road.

HOWEVER... I now have yet another issue.

I'm just now setting up FT ViewPoint (for my first time) and I just learned from the fine print that it does not render AlarmSummary objects on the web server. WHAT. THE. F#@k?!!!
AARGH! Remote control is a big deal on this project (not to mention viewing alarms).

So I may be switching over after all. ...after just having polished off the development.

Dear Experts!!!
I found this everywhere, but i did not get any solution.
I am really tired of being fool all the time.
I have tried everything but not able to show a pop on high tag.

Please please please please help me!!!!

What i want to do is : wheneva a tag named "heater_off_alarm" gets high, a display named "Heater off" should pop up on the the current wirking screen.