1783-ETAP as a Supervisor

Paul Rousseau

Hello all.

I have a CLX redundant chassis set up using a pair of RM and CN2R modules, and a pair of 1756-L62 controllers (basic layout stuff for a redundant architecture). I am about to add a pair of ENT2R modules so I can build a DLR. The DLR will have a 1783-ETAP module. My question is: do I need to configure the 1783-ETAP module in the DLR as a Supervisor to get my laptop physically connected to the primary controller using Ethernet (i.e. not ControlNet)?

I'm thinking I could get connected using the ControlNet network to configure the controller's new ENT2R module to be a Supervisor. What I can't figure out is how to see the Network tab of the ENT2R module using an Ethernet connection. Is it as simple as plugging my laptop into the ETAP and navigating to the primary controller's ENT2R module? Do I need to make the ETAP a supervisor in order to make a connection to the primary ENT2R module's supervisor Network tab? The point may sound moot. Based on documentation, I will make the ETAP a supervisor so I have a back-up Supervisor. My DLR does not have a switch nor are there any other controllers. It has a handful of ENT2R remote IO modules. My guess is the ETAP becomes my only "switch" port to get on the DLR with my laptop. All the other Ethernet ports will be in use. Documentation tells me if I can, do not add an ETAP to your PLC I/O configuration on account it takes up a CIP connection. It seems in my case, if I want the ETAP available for Supervisor duties, I will have to add it to the I/O configuration tree. I know I can set the ETAP DIP switches so that the ETAP becomes a Supervisor instead of adding the ETAP to my PLC program.

If all else fails, I could use the ControlNet network to monitor the Ethernet DLR activity.

Thoughts?

Yes the ETAP will provide a breakout point of the DLR network to allow your laptop access, or to extend the network to other non-DLR devices. I've only setup these in the field for 1 project, and I just used the dip switches and let the ETAP be the supervisor. We decided that would be the 'standard' setup. We did not include it in the IO tree.

I remember looking at the ETAP configuration in software, but don't recall if that was just on the webpage, or if I am mistaken it for the EN2TR setup. I am pretty sure I was connected to the PLC w/o the supervisor configured, I think that just affects the IO network and if the modules will respond or not. I remember having blinking lights all over the place and non-responsive IO until I sorted out the supervisor.

Sorry I'm not of more help on this one, memory is escaping me as it seemed pretty straight-forward so I didn't bother documenting it.

There is no need to add ETAP to the I/O tree, you can configure it via RSlinx.

For redundancy, it would be better to have primary EN2TR module set as a Supervisor and this settings will propagate to the secondary EN2TR as well.
You can have multiple supervisors on the network, the device with highest presidense will be the active supervisor.

On related subject - make sure your current redundancy firmware supports the EN2TR modules that you have.
If you buy current series C modules, you must have complete system flashed to the latest minor release to support it.