Tick-tock with GE RX3i PLC's?

russg

Hi,

I've recently learnt about the use of a tick-tock for the comms between 2 siemens PLC. I've been doing a project with GE PLC's with many comms. Would you guys recommend using a tick-tock of some form to verify the comms is healthy, or is there something in-built that will recognize the comms fault?

My concern is if the comms is lost and a healthy bit is being communicated over the comms to allow a pump to discharge material into a factory, then this healthy bit will stay high even if there is a fault. There is a small chance of it happening, but still worth considering.

Thanks

Russ

If you are using EGD for communications between the PLCs there is status and diagnostic data included in the package of data. If you want to add another layer, create a free-running counter in each PLC and included counter's accumulated value in the produced EGD data. On the consumed side of the exchange, as long as the data is changing you know that communications is good and that the other PLC is running.

Depending on the protocol used for communications I may do different things. Since it is often possible that a PLC that isn't running its ladder logic program can still communicate with external devices, I like to know the run status of the PLC.