20-COMM-E Device properties

I am having problems connecting to 20-COMM-E adapters with RSLinx. I can see the drive in the RSWho tree, and it is not red 'X'ed out. When I right click to bring up device properties, the dialog box takes longer than normal to show and when I select Device properties it comes up with connection error. When trying to get online with CCW it also gets a connection error.Here are some of the things I have tried:

1) Deletion of harmony files, does not solve issue.

2) Upgraded version of RSLinx to Classic 3.8, does not solve issue.

3) Tried on different FW revisions of the 20-COMM-E adapter up to 5.002, does not resolve issue.

4) I did find that on at least one of the drives that I can cycle power and it resolves the issue temporarily but it eventually returns with connection errors.

I have no problems getting device properties or connecting to any other device such as PLCs (PLC5, SLC500, Contrologix) or flex I/O adapters, or my PF753 drives that use the on-board ENET connection.

Anyone have thoughts on other possible solutions that they have used for similar problems.

51 views and no one has any better ideas than what I've tried. I guess I can call AB, but as I have already looked through the knowledgebase with not much luck I am not going to hold my breath that they have an answer either.

Not sure if you got anywhere with tech support, but does the connection error kick out an error code? Also, what kind of drive is the 20-comm-E installed in?

I've had some issues with a PF753 & 20-COMM-R (RIO comms) module in the past. I loosely remember a firmware upgrade with the HIM resolved the issue even though it wasn't an obvious problem with the HIM. Sorry, I don't have more details but that was a different employer & my mind's filled with other junk now.

Any chance you've got a bunch of unattended RSLinx/RSWho stations browsing the network ? Maybe the 20-COMM-E's are getting their connections eaten up by unnecessary client requests.

I'm not sure if the 20-COMM-E daughtercard lists the number of clients it's serving on the web page.

I know the ControlLogix and CompactLogix do. You could check the Logix controllers in the same network and see if they're showing unscheduled connections to PCs that don't need a connection to them.

I have seen lots of issues with the small ribbon cable connection also. May want to re seat or replace it if you have a spare one around anywhere.

Do you have the same problem if connecting directly to just one drive/20-COMM-E (not through a network?)
You mentioned CCW...you have the same problem when using RSLogix 5000?

see above-> eliminate the network by connecting directly to the drive
If necessary use a small, separate, unmanaged switch to get PLC, laptop, and drive isolated from rest of network.

Try using Ethernet drivers instead of EthernetIP in RSLinx