Some Dumb Questions to some, not me.

bright676

I just came back from the dentist and I have some questions that some may think are dumb, but trying to understand how A/B explains things is like going from point A to point B via C, D, E, F, H, back to point C then go to point X, etc., before getting to point B. They talk in circles when all I want is a simple explanation and simple samples.

I'm not familiar with much of the simple programming language used but with the great help and patience of others here I feel grateful. I it wasn't for this site I would truly be lost as the person that got me started passed away a few years ago.

I have bought all my A/B items off of eBay replicating what we use at work. From simple ML-1000s, 5/04s, Panelviews and panelview Plus's and Ethernet including RSLinx, RS-500 and FTVS-ME.(yes I paid for all of this out of my own pocket!) I have a small fortune invested in this. I replicated what we use at work because I feel I will learn the most if I can actually see the whole thing work and it has been great. I am also using my system(s) for running my home security, lighting, timers, inside/outside temp and humidity. I am now known as the PLC guy at work, yet I feel I should know some more of the language.

When I say language I mean the following:

What is a Macro?
What is a String?
What are Arrays?
What is Structered
What is a ascii string?
What ist Sructered text?
What are Add on instructions? (AOI)

Where can I find simple explanation's to these questions? I
bought a lot of CDs from eBay, and watched a lot of you tube, and bought all the books offered here but I just cant find the simple explanations for these.

I did take the A/B class for programming the SLC-500 which was
also great. I was going to take the FTVS-ME programming class but with the great help and understanding from this forum and with what I have bought and comparing it to the course description I think that I have the basics down.

Wow! what a posting, The wonders of modern pain medicine.

Thanks for all the great help.

PLC Numbering Systems
http://accautomation.ca/what-everybody-ought-to-know-about-plc-programmable-logic-controller-numbering-systems/

PLC Programming Languages
http://accautomation.ca/what-everybody-ought-to-know-about-plc-programming-languages/

Add on Instructions
http://www.plcdev.com/rslogix_5000_add-on_instructions

A macro is a shortcut to a task you do repeatedly.
A string is traditionally a sequence of characters, either as a literal constant or as some kind of variable.
An array refers to a set of numbers or objects that will follow a specific pattern. An array is an orderly arrangement, often in rows, columns or a matrix.

Hope this helps,

Here's my one-sentence* answers:

What is a Macro? A piece of code that may perform one or more (usually simple) logic operations, generally triggered by either an event or at periodic intervals. Generally associated with HMI's.
What is a String? This is a string. To be more specific, the STRING data type in a PLC has two elements, a length, and an array of characters. For the string "This is a string", the length is 16 and the array of characters contains T, h, i, s, [space], i, s, [space], a....
What are Arrays? A group of tags or elements. In a modern AB PLC, you may have an array called "DINT_Array", which contains n DINT's, named DINT_Array[0], DINT_Array[1], DINT_Array[2]...DINT_Array[n-1].
What is Structered text? A programming language that, rather than using ladder logic or function box, uses correctly-structured text commands, like "If...Then do...Else..."
What is a ascii string? The same thing as a String, except you've specified that the array of characters are encoded using standard ASCII encoding. Which, whether you've specified it or not, they always (as far as I know) are
What are Add on instructions? (AOI) Check out Garry's link.

*one sentence +/- as many sentences as I felt like at the time