Data Acquisition ideas

johnd_125

I have a customer who is required to calibrate the temperature in ovens every so often. They have a cart they roll around and they connect as many as 20 thermocouples up to data acquisition equipment. These T/C's are positioned in different areas of the oven. They run for several hours, monitoring all T/C's and then save a file for traceability. The file is a csv file that can be opened in excel.

They have a couple different of these roll-around units, both of which use Yokogawa Darwin DA100/DS600 components. The older unit has a DC100 with a 3.5" floppy drive. This looks like an old boom box radio. Needless to say the customer wants to get away from floppy disks. The newer unit has a DA100 and an ethernet module connected to a computer running Yokogawa DAQ32 software. This software monitors the T/C's and produces the excel file.

One problem is the Darwin DA100 is a discontinued item. Its hard to get and high priced. The other problem is the distributor also does some projects directly for the same customer. Since they are competing, they don't want to sell Yokogawa to an outside integrator working for the same plant. They are hard to deal with, won't reply to emails or phone calls, etc.

So, I am open to using different components. Whats out that that could economically and reliably monitor 20 or so T/C's over several hours and produce a file that can be opened in Excel?

TIA.

Does the equipment that you are surveying require Nadcap approval and/or are the surveys done to meet the specifications of AMS2750?

Heat Treaters who deal with military, aerospace or automotive customers probably have to comply with the thermal standard AMS2750 or NADCAP that defines test procedures.

The major paperless recorder vendors (Honeywell, Yokogawa, Eurotherm) offer options for AMS thermal uniformity survey (TUS) recorders. None of these recorders is cheap, but data acquistion used for compliance/calibration rarely is.

Honeywell's AMS data sheet is here:
https://www.honeywellprocess.com/library/marketing/notes/TrendViewAMS2750E_SN_Sept2013.pdf