Communications through 1783-NATR

ad8bc

I have an application where I will have multiple identical machines communicating to the plant network using a 1783-NATR in each machine to separate the machine Ethernet from the plant Ethernet. I understand how, by using rules, the equipment on the plant network side can "reach in" to the PLC on the machine side using the plant IP address (assigned by the customer IT department) mapped to the PLC IP address on the machine Ethernet inside the machine.

My question is, what happens if I want to go the other way? For example, use a MSG block in my PLC to communicate to a customer PLC on the plant network, or to put that customer PLC in the communications tree so I can use produced/consumed tags? Will I need to configure a rule the other direction in the NATR or will I just directly use the customer PLC IP address and the NATR will take care of it like a router/gateway?

Thanks for your assistance.