Panelview Numeric entry

ddsiller

I am using a Pannelview 600 and PLC5/40 to control VFD powerflex 700

In pannelview or Panelbuilder 32 I want to use a Numeric Entry to enter Motor Speed but I dont know how the Rslogix would read the Speed Value from the PV600. What do I need to do in Rslogix to read the Numeric Value of the Panelview?

PV600 is setup for FULL rack #1
Powerflex 700 is in Rack 2 1/2 Rack

Photo1.jpg

First, the Tag Form clearly says that the tag address is I:017.
It's been awhile since I used a PLC5 but I think this is incorrect (I could be wrong).
That appears to be an input address. You cannot affect an input from the HMI nor from the PLC.
The I/O scan updates input file (I:x) from the physical inputs.
You need to use an integer file address such as N7:x.
You can then use that tag to do whatever.

I haven't used PLC5 stuff either but in SLC/Micrologix that is exactly what I would do. I would have the PV put the value into a Integer (N). Then you can move that speed into your message block or to the SCP block for a Analog output.

How are you sending the speed reference to the VFD?

The panelbuilder wont let me use anything but Inputs or Outputs. If I write N7:0 on the Tag the panelbuilder wont let me use it. I used I:017 as a whole word so that the Panelbuilder transform the numbers in the numeric entry to binary so that the PLC5 can understand it.

The Powerflex is set to be 1/2 Rack size so I used the group 2 whole word to set the speed so when the every bit of the 16 bit word are set to 1 that would be tha Maximum Speed of the motor. If I toggle the bits in the Rslogix of that group then the motor speed changes.

Last edited:
In the panelbuilder program there is a motor speed display example. You will need to use a integer to do what you want'

Are you connecting to the VFD via Remote I/O using the 20-Comm-R module?

There is a Tech Note on the KB: 45063 | 10/19/2007 | Access Level: Everyone
That talks about using RIO with the VFD.

Again my experience with the PLC5 is nil so I may be leading you astray.

When you have a PanelView terminal with a RIO network interface, it emulates an I/O rack. PanelBuilder's syntax allows you to use the I/O address that you'll also see in RSLogix 5.

This particular PanelView is evidently set up as Rack 1, with a size of "Full Rack", which is just 8 16-bit words.

"Input" data read from the PanelView into the PLC-5 Input data table will be addressed as I:010 through I:017.

"Output" data written to the PanelView from the PLC-5 Output data table will be addressed as O:010 through O:017.

It looks like you're going to enter the Setpoint in RPM, since you limited the input range to 0 to 1140. Is that correct ?

The PowerFlex drive's reference value is generally a full-scale Integer range that's scaled against the Minimum and Maximum frequency values.

A drive that uses a 16-bit integer for the Reference would therefore have an integer range of 0 to 32767 in the command reference that scales to 0 to Max Hz.

It sounds like you've already got a handle on that, but I wanted to mention for other readers that the PowerFlex 700 had two Series and several variations that did 16-bit and 32-bit references.

The topic of how to configure and address Block Transfers to expand the PanelView terminal's data transfer capability can be a separate topic.

Are you able to get the HMI to send the data to the PLC successfully?
Do you see it at the location you specified?

When you have a PanelView terminal with a RIO network interface, it emulates an I/O rack. PanelBuilder's syntax allows you to use the I/O address that you'll also see in RSLogix 5.

This particular PanelView is evidently set up as Rack 1, with a size of "Full Rack", which is just 8 16-bit words.

"Input" data read from the PanelView into the PLC-5 Input data table will be addressed as I:010 through I:017.

"Output" data written to the PanelView from the PLC-5 Output data table will be addressed as O:010 through O:017.

It looks like you're going to enter the Setpoint in RPM, since you limited the input range to 0 to 1140. Is that correct ?

The PowerFlex drive's reference value is generally a full-scale Integer range that's scaled against the Minimum and Maximum frequency values.

A drive that uses a 16-bit integer for the Reference would therefore have an integer range of 0 to 32767 in the command reference that scales to 0 to Max Hz.

It sounds like you've already got a handle on that, but I wanted to mention for other readers that the PowerFlex 700 had two Series and several variations that did 16-bit and 32-bit references.

The topic of how to configure and address Block Transfers to expand the PanelView terminal's data transfer capability can be a separate topic.

Thanks Ken thats exactly what I am doing.

Yes the Panelview is communicating perfectly with the PLC. I made the Scale too like Ken said. But when I put a number in the Numeric entry in the PV that is set in I:017 of the PLC, when I go to the Rslogix5 and see the Datafiles of the Input data of I:017 is not doing anything. It doesnt enable any bits which means it is not getting the numbers I am putting in the Panelview.