Micrologix 1400 DNP3 Slave Program Bkup Regarding

saravanssk

Hello Sir, I m new for DNP3 comunication in AB. The following things i did in my program . We are doing DNP3 slave in Micrologix 1400 channel 2 RS232 port. The attached pics get more information about our project. And we did msg instruction for sending pockets through Channel 2 RS232 port for sending data packets to one GSM wireless modem. But i m getting msg instruction error. Can any one worked in ML1400 DNP3 project. Pls share PLC to modem RS 232 communication cable details and Rs logix 500 software cong. Quick reply helpful for us.

DATA FILES DNP3.jpg DNP3 Channel2.jpg MSG Instruction DNP3.jpg

I haven't used DNP3 with the micrologix before, but I don't think you can use MSG instructions with it. It is a slave only implementation. You can of course enable unsolicited messages for class 1,2 or 3 and then set some of your data tables to be one of those classes.

Can you poll this PLC from your DNP3 master? How is the GSM modem configured? It must have some internal settings to tell it how to send data to the master... if it is just a "dumb" modem expecting some AT commands to establish a link then you're plumb out of luck. . I don't believe you can switch the channel to ASCII in real time to do the initialization, then switch back to DNP3.

How did you select this modem and PLC for the application?

Ok I see the modem you're using. I wonder why you want to use RS232? The modem supports ethernet. Use ethernet and save yourself a lot of hassle. To use serial with this you'll have to set up your modems for some kind of virtual com port so that your DNP3 master "sees" a serial connection through to this slave. It looks messy, and if you have many slaves then it will cause a bottle neck as the master can only poll once slave at a time, sequentially.

Do you have a reason for not using ethernet?

I dont have idea with that modem sir, Pls go through my modem pdf link. We are not using AT commands. Sorry sir totally no idea with this. We can use ethernet also. Pls guide some your ideas for implementing dnp3 slave communication. Our modem just like a mediator. We create some virtual ports for communicating remote station scada. SCADA is Kingview. We dont have idea for DNP3 Master. Confused:doh2:šŸ™ƒšŸ™ƒšŸ™ƒ

We have this DNP3 requirements from our customer. So only we select this configuration for cost effective.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9yaoK_jm80EZHVFcXRsSzdZdUk/view?usp=sharing

Well then it looks like you're in some deep %^&* if you have no idea what you're doing.

I have never used those modems before, nor a ML1400 as a DNP3 slave (I will be testing this on the bench in a couple months time, but haven't used it yet). So I cannot possibly give you a step by step instruction guide.

However, I suggest the following:

Step 1: YOU draw a network diagram showing how you think your network will look. Include base SCADA PC, network equipment, etc. Include IP addresses, subnet masks, default gateways. All this is important to know before you start trying to configure stuff. Post that here so we can see if you have some understanding of how things are supposed to be working.

Step 2: YOU read the modem manual and figure out how to set up a VPN from your base station to this remote site. Normally this requires one side to have a fixed IP, i.e. your base station SCADA server would have a wired broadband connection, with a fixed IP address. Your base would also have a VPN appliance. The cellular modem (which will typically have a dynamic IP), initiates the VPN connection back to the base. Setting up a VPN that is actually secure is a whole different topic, but there is plenty of information on the web for at least getting something functional for now.

Step 3: Once you have your VPN correctly established (i.e. you can ping your remote cellular modem from the Base Station SCADA server end), then you need to get your micrologix connected via Ethernet. Set an IP address (that matches your drawing in step 1) and tick the "Enable DNP3 over IP" in the ethernet channel config. Set up at least one class of data types so you can poll something from the base. re-power the PLC for the IP address to take effect, and check whether you can ping the PLC from the base.

Step 4: Configure your SCADA server software for polling a DNP3 slave. I had a quick look at this KingSCADA (never heard of it before...) and they say they have over 3,500 drivers but don't list any of them which seems fishy. Does it have a native DNP3 driver? If not, I suggest you contact them and find out what 3rd party DNP3 driver they recommend. Then purchase said driver, and figure out how to set it up. It will probably be OPC, so hopefully KingSCADA supports that.

Step 5: Since none of the above has probably worked, give up for the day and head to the pub for several beers. Contemplate why on earth you signed up for a project where you have no clue what you are doing, and then start back at Step 1. Repeat until you either get fired, give up or actually get it working.

Good luck.

Yeah sir, Well said. Actually i did the step 5 daily. We have ML 1400 dnp3 driver for that scada. Its complicated i know. I have one doubt sir, shall v use msg instruction for dnp3 slave. Actually ML1400 is dnp3 slave only. Is msg instruction works for data layer or write option?
I think one domain or static ip required for remote scada communication. one wireless gsm modem in plc station and another wireless modem in remote scada station. we need to poll the data from domain or static ip. PLC station analog data moves to one dnp3 data files address. We are using GPRS or UMTS communication to transfer plc station data to domain/static ip. This is the network progress sir.
Lastly i check with my plc to scada. SCADA having dnp3 driver. So if i communicate SCADA directly with PLC over DNP3. Then we can transfer the data easily by wireless. Having idea but need some correct support for team work. Can u pls share your contact details. I get some xml files from rockwell for dnp3 data collection format in domain or static ip.

Again, do a drawing. It will make things much clearer and quickly shows if there is confusion somewhere.

You cannot use messaging with DNP3 as far as I know.

Your base SCADA dnp3 driver needs to Poll this slave to get data. Get that working first, then we can worry about unsolicited messaging which is PLC initiated to base.

I do not have any contacts in your part of the world, and none here who fix problems like this for free!