ControlLogix and Bacnet / Lonworks

Rob S.

I just had a meeting about a fuel system for a hospital generator system. On
the specs they specified that it needs to interface with a Bacnet / Lonworks ( Building Maintenance Network , I guess ). Do you guys know anything about interfacing a Controllogix or CompactLogix with Bacnet /

What is Bacnet / Lonworks ?
Thanks .

Hi Ron

First I heard about Bacnet was a short while ago for some wilo pumps,
I found that prosoft had a card and I spoke to them at the automation fair
I would contact them if I was you,sorry I can't add much as I have just ordered the card

Donnchadh

BACnet is “Building Automation & Control network. It’s a universal communications standard for building automation equipment (sensors, actuators, controls, etc…).
RTA (Real Time Automation) also makes a bridge and it’s possible that they created the firmware for Prosoft (that’s a guess but I know Prosoft is a customer of RTA).
http://www.rtaautomation.com/product/460etcbs/

I have interfaced compact and control logix PLC's to BACNet, it's not too in depth as long as you've got someone ont he BACNet side who's able to give you their data addresses.

Here's a link to a very similar thread from a few months back; curlyandshemp posted an in-chassis solution that I would have quite liked to use but couldn't, and I posted a link to the unit that I've used and found to be quite good.

One thing to check: even though BACNet is a "universal" standard, it's "universal" in the same context as "Universal Serial Bus" (USB). Which is completely universal. Except for USB A, mini USB, micro USB...

So just check what format of BACNet network it is - the one I set up was BACNet TCP (i.e. ethernet-based) but colleagues of mine have set up a serial-based BACNet network as well.