Panel View 1400e, screen saver, how?

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
I haven't worked with the 1400e model before, mostly standard panelviews. So bare with me and please provide the answer to this simple question:

How do you activate the screen saver? I searched the programming software help files, the AB knowledge base, this forum, etc...

Hardware: Panelview 1400e, 2711-E-T14C6 series F

firmware 5.14

I'm guessing the answer is pretty simple, but I can't solve it.

Ken

Are you looking for a "start now" command, or the time delay?

I think you have to configure the time delay from the blue setup screen that comes up when the key switch is in config mode. One of the handful of options there should let you set the delay and get rid of that annoying beep.

Of course, the PV1400e I was using was a little old. There may not even be a key switch anymore.

AK

Most PVs have a time-out feature on the backlight that can be set to go off at different intervals. I use this instead of a screensaver routine. You can get to this from the PVs front buttons.

Rube,
This is a CRT model, which is why I want to set up the sceen saver.

Akreel,
Thanks, you were right, one of set up buttons allows you to set the
screen saver delay time.
BTW, this model still has the key.

I was trying to set it up in software, never thought of doing it via the hardware.

Ken

Ken Moore said:
I was trying to set it up in software, never thought of doing it via the hardware.

I didn't know about that for a while, either. I think that I was just sick of listening to the screen beep one day and decided to browse menus.

There are other parameters in the config screens that might be useful to you, too. You might want to look through them briefly.

AK

Ken--

My bad. My company doesn't allow me the budget to spec a 1400 and I was unaware that it was a CRT model. I learned with you so, my thanks also to AK.

It's kind of funny--the company I work for is now in love with PVs and what can be done with them. At one time, they didn't see the need for a display/control unit (HMI). They would spec a panel with buttons all over the front of the cabinet door, AND a small display screen. I showed up and now all new projects use a PV. Isn't progress great?

I did a study a long time ago, showing that it was cheaper in the long run to use an HMI instead of hardwired control panels. Presented the study to management, and we've been using Panelviews every since.

I plan on avoiding the use of CRT models in the future, they only seem to last about 14-18 months before something in the CRT dies. Most of our CRT models are 3-5 years old, and it seems that I have to send one out about every 3-4 months. Luckily for me there is a local (non AB) repair shop that does good work at reasonable rates.

We mostly use the backlit model now, and haven't had any problems with those yet.

Ken