First Data Collection Project...

TheCaptain2000

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am working on networking several PLCs (2 SLC500, 1 DirectLogic, and 1 Simantic/TI) along with 4 inkjet counters/labelers to display info on these machines on a webpage. I have started a similar discussion with this before, but now I need as many recommendations as I can get as to what SCADA software I can and perhaps should use. Graphics would be cool, but are not necessary. To be honest, I use an Excel spreadsheet if I thought I could address fields.

I currently have an IFix Scada connected to three 5/04's, one 5/05 and two TI-565(via ethernet). No problems with the networking, you just need the right drivers, one for each brand of PLC. They sell a web page product, but I've never used it. I would assume that Wonderware would work well also, but haven't used Wonderware in a long time, so can't say for sure.

I believe Wonderware and IFix are two of the more expensive options, and perhaps others can recommend cheaper options.

Ken

Well, just about any SCADA/HMI software will handle all that.
Ifix, RSView, WinCC, Wonderware are some I have used, and all have some means of publishing screens as web pages, either static time/event/on-demand based snapshots, or as active XML pages.

I'd bridge everything up to ethernet; get the DF1/Ethernet converter for the SLC's if you can, the Ethernet module for the AD (the comms module, NOT the 'Ethernet Base Controller', and one for the Simatic TI (please, dear lord, make TIWAY go AWAY)

The thing you really need are the communications drivers. I know I'm starting to sound like a bloody salesman for them (and no, I'm not, I just buy the products because they are good), I'm loving TopServer, especially in mixed enviornments like you have. One main server can support I think up to 8 different individual servers, and they do have drivers available for everything you mentioned. They even now support XP SP2 (of course, nothing else does).

You might still need manufacturer supplied or custom I/O server's for the printers, but if that's the case, I've found it generally much easier to use some kind of BASIC module in a plc rack for reading/writing them, and then referencing the PLC data tables for the HMI. Nothing is uglier than trying to configure PC's to handle a bunch of comm ports.

www.softwaretoolbox.com

Hi TheCaptain2000

I agree with rdrast in that there are quite a few SCADA packages that can do this. Some of them are better than others at web publishing. I've had good experience with Cimplicity.

Nuff said. If all you want is to display a small amount of data one option would be sending data to a database file and writing a web page to periodically read the file and display the data.

Your main problem is not getting the data to the database once you've read it, rather it's the surprisingly wide range of protocols for such a small system. Ken has a point regarding a reduced number of protocols. See if you can do this without extensive HW costs. If not then you should find the appropriate OPC servers. There are lots of them out there and you can find many recommendations in past posts.

Once you've got access to the data in a standard format it is simple to write a program to send the data to the database.

While a SCADA package will give you nice displays it won't solve the communications issues. Regardless of which way you go you'll have to interface with your field devices somehow. If all you want is a little bit of data on a screen somewhere consider going the web route.

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)

(Yosi)