Powerflex 700VC not sending status to PLC5

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm converting some 1336F to Powerflex 700VC, and for some reason I can't get my program to not send a stop command to the drive. It's like the program is not getting the current status from the Powerflex so it won't enable it to run.

Does anyone know right offhand what I might be missing? I've disabled all digital inputs and went through every parameter and I'm still apparently missing something.

The drive is on controlnet via 20-comm-c. I can pull up the drive on CCW and RSLinx, and RSNetworx looks good too.

I believe there's a parameter called "Stop Owner". This will indicate which node is currently sending the stop command (bit 4 = node 4).

Flashing yellow STS and Stop Asserted.... I agree, something's sending a STOP command.

Remember that Digital Input and Run Mode parameter changes require a full power cycle of the drive before they take effect.

On this machine we have 7 drives on Controlnet. When I check out the status file for all of the drives, including the Powerflex I've just put in, every drive has an "Enabled" bit except for the powerflex. When I look at drive parameter 209, it doesn't have a ready bit.

Another question. Do I have to have a motor hooked up to the drive to get a ready bit?

The value in the Stop Owner parameter has to be your next step. Everything else is just guessing until you find it.

So I went into the program and put a branch around the XIO that referenced the "Enable" bit on the drive as an aux interlock. Everything works now. including speed ref, forward, reverse, etc.

can't get my program to not send a stop command to the drive.
...to be more specific, I'm not getting an Enabled bit back from the powerflex.
Oh, now I get it. You knew all along that it was your program sending the STOP bit across the network, and were really asking about the Enabled status bit.

The 1203-CN1 user manual (1336E/F family) describes the Status Word Bit 0 as "Enabled".

The 20-COMM-C user manual (PowerFlex) describes the Status Word Bit 0 as "Ready".

My guess is that on the older drive, the Status bit 0 becomes true if the Enable input is true, regardless of the state of the Stop command.

On the newer drive, the drive isn't considered "Ready" to run if it has a Stop asserted.

In general, I only assert Stop until the 'Active' (Bit 01) bit turns off, but that's mostly to avoid an asynchronous start/stop logic conflict in ControlLogix.

I've commissioned the drive so I suppose everything is straight. We'll find out Monday.

The only thing I'm really wondering now is if the 1336-WB035 brake is actually doing anything. I've got 6 more drives to do in the next few months and braking is going to be needed for at least 3 of them. It's not really a big deal with this one, but that's why I chose it to be the first. Those warnings in the manual about using the wrong braking scheme have stopped me until I get a good answer on how my parameters should be setup.