control sure servo with plc

irondesk40

Has anyone used a sure servo unit from automation direct? Looking at testing one to use in velocity mode using internal preset speeds such as 1200rpm for speed1 and 200rpm for speed2. Have some very old equipment that has outdated plc controls that a couple of the old omron drives has failed and at the moment just looking to get them back into production and then upgrade as budget allows.

I used one about a year ago in a cutting application. The servo motor has a rotary cutting blade attached directly to its shaft cutting flexible metal cables. It was fairly easy to set-up and is still running well. Not much of a sample size. I think the drives are made by either GE or Delta.

Thanks, we just hooked up a SVA2100 to do some testing and was pretty straight forward. Configured it to run in Velociy mode and defined 2 speeds selected with toggle switches at the moment. Was not very impressed with tech support. Was trying to determine if you could use another input to the drive to tell it when to run fwd or rev in velocity mode and was told no you can not you have to wire in some relays and then define a speed ref as positive and as negative. Well we saw that one of the Digital inputs could be set up as Command Input Polarity. Was told that was only if you using Analog inputs not predetermined speeds you select with inputs unless one of the speeds was set up a a negative value. All i can say is that it works if you trigger the input with it set up as Command Input Polarity. Called tech support to see if could get some more info and was told the manual was it and if we got it to work then we must know more than he does.
I think i will stick with the Emerson or the Allen Bradley

I used one a couple of years ago for the vertical axis of a surface grinder. My biggest disappointment with it was that I couldn't switch to follower mode without cycling power to it. I had planned to use follower mode to have the axis move up or down as the operator turned a handwheel. Instead I had to develop a workaround.

Thanks, we just hooked up a SVA2100 to do some testing and was pretty straight forward. Configured it to run in Velociy mode and defined 2 speeds selected with toggle switches at the moment. Was not very impressed with tech support. Was trying to determine if you could use another input to the drive to tell it when to run fwd or rev in velocity mode and was told no you can not you have to wire in some relays and then define a speed ref as positive and as negative. Well we saw that one of the Digital inputs could be set up as Command Input Polarity. Was told that was only if you using Analog inputs not predetermined speeds you select with inputs unless one of the speeds was set up a a negative value. All i can say is that it works if you trigger the input with it set up as Command Input Polarity. Called tech support to see if could get some more info and was told the manual was it and if we got it to work then we must know more than he does.
I think i will stick with the Emerson or the Allen Bradley

That's interesting, I know the PLC and safety support is always top-notch but I've never contacted them for anything motion related. Glad to hear it worked out. I try to stay away from AB myself as I've found the distribution network in my area hard to work with.