Question on an Application using counters - New guy

James Lewis

I am using a Micrologix 1000 and I am attempting to write a program that will allow a label applicator to label 3 boxes on one side, then label the next 3 boxes on the opposite side.

Both Applicators are verified ON. If on, Applicator 1 applies 3 labels. If it faults out during labeling the three boxes, the PLC immediately switches to the opposite Applicator and continues labeling.

If no errors occur, one applicator applies three labels and then switches to the opposite applicator and applies three labels. It continues this process. If both applicators are in error states, an output is sent to the conveyor to shut down.

This is my first application and I am needing a nudge in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

I can set the program up such that, the first applicator is online, the prox sensor senses the product and the applicator applies the label while the counter increments by one. Once the counter gets to 4, I would like to switch to the second applicator, verify its on line, using a separate prox sensor - sense a box, apply a label and start a different counter. Once three labels are applied, the process starts all over again after counter 1 has been cleared.

thanks!

James

http://accautomation.ca/the-secret-of-using-counters/
You can think of it this way:
Your maximum count value is 6. If the count is under 3 use the first label applicator. If the count is over 3 use the second label applicator.
If the count is over 3 and the second label applicator is not on then reset the counter.
If the count is under 3 and the first label applicator is not on then move 4 into the counter PV value.

Hope this helps,

http://accautomation.ca/the-secret-of-using-counters/
You can think of it this way:
Your maximum count value is 6. If the count is under 3 use the first label applicator. If the count is over 3 use the second label applicator.
If the count is over 3 and the second label applicator is not on then reset the counter.
If the count is under 3 and the first label applicator is not on then move 4 into the counter PV value.

Hope this helps,
Thanks a lot Garry. I wasnt looking at it this way. Makes more sense seeing it written down.