Communication between Siemens & ABB

swedeleaner

Hello!!

Have no experience in using OPC but there is always a first time, right? :D
The setup is:

One Siemens S7-300 that will be added to a so far unknown ABB 800xa.
I think OPC is the best solution, but will happily take another path if you know something that i don´t.

The Siemens will only forward Alarms to the ABB, the ABB will only read tags.

Is there any OPC software that is in particular good for integrating these to brands?

My preference would be to avoid using Harmony, or other third party OPC for 800xA.

Depending on the size of the new project, I would rather the headache of installing new Profibus hardware, connecting that to the existing ABB controller (whatever is it.. AC800M for example), and configuring new "gateway" logic.

Thanks!

Thanks guys, i will look into your solutions.

By the way, when configuring an OPC I still have to configure gateway logic?
I´m guessing that the OPC-server needs to be added to both systems hardware setup and get a defined adress area?

I´m guessing that a simple gateway would be the cheapest solution, but what advantage do i actually get when using OPC instead?

From what I know, an OPC is a gateway but with more configuring options?

An OPC is a software link between families of industrial software. The OPC software resides on a server or workstation on the plant network. Other software would access the data provided by the OPC.

For example, your I/O would connect to your S7, and associated logic would be configured. The S7 would connect to the plant network. The data (tags) within the control software of the S7 would be synchronized with the 800xA system through the OPC. No logic has to be created within 800xA (and in fact, usually isn't. Logic for ABB controllers is created using Control Builder, Composer etc..). Once the tags are synchronized, it is possible to create 800xA displays.

Another way to interface the S7 to the 800xA system would be through Profibus, or Modbus. This method requires programming of the existing ABB controller to which you connect the S7. This method does not require an OPC.

Last edited:
Thanks again!

Since our experience in ABB is quite non-existent we would like to keep the coding/configuring on that PLC end to a minimum.

The OPC solution seems to be what we are looking for, next step will be contacting sales for prices and setup.

Have a nice evening!

ABB also offers software called "PLC Connect" or "DCS Connect" to interface to third parties. For this solution, please contact your client representative, and ABB to understand what it can do for you.

Exactly what kind of ABB System is it ? edit: I missed that you wrote 800xa in the 1st post.
If you chose OPC, then you have a PC in the mix, which may or may not be a good idea.
ABB 800xA has Profinet, so in that case it would be straightforward to setup a Profinet IO Controller - Profinet IO Device connection between the two systems. This will be much more reliable than a PC based solution.

You can chose either that Siemens is Profinet IO Controller while ABB is Profinet IO Device, or vice-versa.
If both systems have to be Profinet IO Controller, then you could setup the Siemens to be a Profinet I-Device, meaning Siemens can be Profinet IO Controller, and simultanously is a Profinet Device to the ABB as Profinet IO Controller.