Boot-P does not see the HW Address of 22-Comm-E ( Powerflex Drive)

Rob S.

I am trying to commission a 480 vac PowerFlex 40 (22-COMM-E) in my home office ( I have 208 VAC hooked up to L1 and L2 . 120 VAC was not enough to power up the electronics , my wife is freaking out because I have the panel cover off with wires hanging out). I am trying to use Boot-P . I have used it before. I go to start Boot-P to have it search for the HW address on the 22-COMM-E , and I do not see it in the "request history " window. The only
MAC address I see , I am assuming is my laptop . I do not see the 22-COMM-E card HW address at all 00:1D:9C:B3:E7:2B.

I do have a F4 Undervoltage Fault . I knew I was going to have that , but I can't imagine that would keep me from commissioning the 22-COMM-E.

LED Status........
PORT is on Steady
MOD is Flashing
NET A off (What is the difference between NET A&B.I am running them Single)
NET B Flashing about every 4 seconds

When I enable BOOT-P I get " Socket Connect Failed For 00:1D:9C:B3:E7:2B"

Thanks so much in advance.

You have your laptop plugged directly to the drive? Dont remember if you need a crossover cable or not. If you are plugged directly to the drive your laptop mac address should not show up. Is this a new comm-e card?

Do you have access to a small 480->120 control transfer anywhere? I have programmed drives by hooking a control transformer up backwards with a standard 120V plug on the "secondary" and wiring the "primary" directly to the drive. It of course does not have enough capacity to run a motor, but it does provide the correct voltage to power up the control circuits. Maybe it will keep your wife from freaking out over the open panel, even if there is now exposed 480 Volts on your desk.

I never use a switch just a crossover cable, (screwed up too many switches).
Did you try setting up your ethernet to DHCP? Look for bent pins for the ribbon cable? Its been a couple years since I have set up 40's just trying to lend a hand.

Boot-P should go out and see that MAC address on that 22-COMM-E card
and display it in the top window in BOOT-P , correct. I replaced the 22-COMM-E card ( Powerflex 40 Drive ) with my compactlogix and I am able to ping it and go online with it. so their is nothing wrong with the cable, or switch.I also have another 22-COMM-E card in another Powerflex 40 that I used and got the same result.

The last time I had to re-purpose a 22-COMM-E card from one drive to another (didn't have the old IP address), I used CCW and was able to find and update it. Maybe that will work for you.

This a new installation. I have 1 new Powerflex 40 drive with a new 22-COMM-E
in it , and another new Powerflex 40 with a new 22-COMM-E. Either one will BOOT-P see the MAC address. I simply want to put 192.168.100.2 and 192.168.100.3 in them. I used BOOT-P a few times , but not with 22-COMM-E's.

Steve , I need to get more familiar with CCW. I didn't realize you could use that with some Powerflex drives . Still , the simplest way to get a IP address in the 22-comm-e is Boot-P , correct ?

Thanks,

I've set up dozens of 22-comm-e's with Boot P. I did a commissioning job earlier this year where there were about 15 of these out in the field; I just had a guy on the other end of the radio power them up one at a time, I'd see it pop up, set it's address, and he'd turn on the next one. Had them all set up in 20 minutes, and 5 minutes of that was waiting for the guy to get up into the roofspace where all the drives were.

There's another thread on general Boot P troubleshooting going around at the moment: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=73059

Check out George's info, and also the couple of posts after it about multiple network adapters - that's one thing that will definitely stop it working

Thanks so much for your help. I just had to turn the firewall off. One more thing , like I said in the thread , I have 208 VAC wired to a 480 volt drive to power the electronics. It is in fault mode, like I thought it would be. I seem to not be able to change any parameters. I imagine that is because of the fault state , correct ?

Thanks again

The PF40 has a separate power supply board that powers the Ethernet card. It draws from the DC bus of the drive, so if the DC bus voltage is low enough to trigger the UV fault, it is also out of spec for the power supply board. It might appear to power up the Ethernet adaptor, but functionality would be compromised.

The card seems to be working fine , I am getting DC Bus voltage , default acc ,
etc. I need to change some drive parameters to "COMM" to be able communicate with tags thru my CompactLogix . But , it will not allow me to make any parameter changes.