Studio 5000 Motion Database

Tharon

I had a strange thing happen this morning. Using Studio 5000, v24.

I had 8 projects built up. All very similar. 6 of them were operational, but the last 2 were not. I started to work on the last 2, and had to change some parameters of the moition axis.

When I opened the properties of the Axis in the Motion Group, I got the following error:

The Motion Database does not contain data for the following selections:
Amplifier Catalog Number
Motor Catalog number
Motor Feedback Type
Auxiliary Feedback Type
The axis properties dialog may open with some of these selections set to <none>

Select Cancel in the axis properties dialog to preserve your previous selections. Unless a Motion Database with the previous data is available, selecting new data and/or Applying these changes may make your project incompatible with your hardware configuration and may be unable to download.

Now, the only thing I did was install an Addon Profile for a 440C-CR30. I didn't touch anything else. I went into the install folders and the motion.db file is still in the same location it was for each version.

I don't know what's up. My motion database seems to be completely empty when I open it in my program. I even went back and checked previous projects, all the same.

I'm using a 2198-H003-ERS and a VPL-B0632F motor. But there is nothing available in the catalog numbers list.

Seems like somehow I messed something up, and now I can't change anything on my projects without completely breaking the settings. Is there a way to reinstall just the default motion database?

Edit:
I found a document that explained how to change the motion database. But when I go to the "Options" under the Tool menu, I don't see a Motion category. My categories are only Application, Ladder Editor, and Trends. Seems to be that way for me in Studio and RSlogix 5000.

Last edited:
So it looks like somehow, sometime in the past week or so, a file was deleted from my ProgramData directory.

I was able to get the right file and it looks like the problem was corrected. I used the Knowledgebase Article - 470374 if anyone was interested.

I'd post details, but it is a Tech Connect level article, so I don't know if I'm allowed.

Seems odd that the database just disappeared. The only thing I did was install the Add On Profile for the Ethernet/IP configuration of the Safety Relay mentioned earlier.

But, at least the problem is solved for now. I had previously tried to run repairs and install motion kits from the disk, but nothing had worked. The only thing that finally worked was the article steps. I did not want to have to uninstall and reinstall the software all together.

Last edited:
Studio 5000 motion database missing

Tharon

Thanks a bunch for the tip and the Article reference. I experienced the same issue this week. Since I am still new to Motion programming I did not realize the Motion Database reference was missing and unfortunately broke a production machine trying to perform tuning on an axis.

The culprit as much as I can tell was a Windows Security update to my work computer. I followed the instructions on the article, made the necessary changes to the machine.config file and restarted my Studio 5000. My issue was instantly fixed.

I created this account on the forum to express appreciation to all the PLC "ego maniacs" who contribute to make everyone's lives better. Special thanks to Tharon for this post.

I am having this same issue right now. I am waiting for my techconnect access since I am a new employee. Wondering if you can point me in the right direction for the mean time. Everyone else I have asked hasn't been able to help yet. Thank you.