Factorytalk Processor Status Faceplate?

Codenamecody

I'm looking for a way to display the status of the connection to the PLC from factorytalk view SE (v8). (Actually I would like to implement this across a few different platforms, but I'm working w/ SE right now so I'll start with that). It would be nice if there was a faceplate or graphic that shows the what mode the PLC is in (Run, Remote Run, Program, Remote Program, Faulted, Test Mode, ect.) and have it show whether comms are established. I usually use control logix; once in a while I'll use a compactlogix. Has anybody ever done this? If so, how?

Thanks!
-Cody

It would be nice if there was a faceplate or graphic that shows the what mode the PLC is in (Run, Remote Run, Program, Remote Program, Faulted, Test Mode, ect.) and have it show whether comms are established.

Cody

Take a look at the PlantPax objects there are some for communicating with PLCs and monitoring their status. They do all your asking for and a lot more.

Hope this helps
Regards
Ian McDonald

Thanks for the tip Usireland. I just investigated a little bit and apparently they call them the Logix Diagnostic Objects. They are pairs of Faceplates/ AOIs whose tags match up that allows you to monitor the status of a PLC. The catch is that a PLC cannot monitor itself, so if you have two PLCs, PLC #1 monitors over PLC #2 over ethernet and vis versa.

In case others are curious, it has some very cool features. It can get a TON of info from the processor including online edit history, CPU utilization, info on forces, faults, the list goes on. I can see myself using this in the future.

They are pairs of Faceplates/ AOIs whose tags match up that allows you to monitor the status of a PLC. The catch is that a PLC cannot monitor itself, so if you have two PLCs, PLC #1 monitors over PLC #2 over ethernet and vis versa.

Cody,

Its been a while since I used them, but I am sure that PLC #1 can monitor itself. I used it in a system where I only had 1 PLC so it would be impossible for #1 to monitor #2 as there was no #2. Later on today I will perhaps have time to investigate more and find out exactly what AOI and Faceplate I used.

Regards
Ian

Why a faceplate?
For my money, a simple graphic with message displays showing words and color (Run/Green, Program/Blue, Faulted/Red) is much easier to see and understand at a glance.
With a faceplate, you first have to determine what is supposed to be a status, and then try and figure out what it is.

Here is what I use, very simple to set up with PLC5, micro, SLC.
With a Controllogix I have a UDT and a GSV instruction.
I can give you more info on it if you like...

PLC.jpg