Flex I/O Question

Martindag

Hi guys,

We are currently considering to add a Flex IO to our Contrologix PLC for a new application rather than buying a new PLC.

Going for a Flex IO will cost around 2k of component and it's around 400ft away from the PLC.

We could go also for new IO module on the PLC and do thw wiring all the way to the new application but im abit worry about the distance.

Would it be better to go with a Flex IO even if it's a little bit more expensive for a 400fts distance, or do the wiring and add new module only ?

i need 16 output 120vac, 8 inputs 120vac, 4 analog inputs,
if i go with a flex IO i was going to buy a ethernet adapter and add it to the actual local network.

Thanks !

400 feet might be too far for Ethernet. If you can put a network switch at the halfway point it can work. Also, you might want to look at Point I/O since Flex is getting to be pretty "mature".

Hardwiring that distance can work too, but if the analog signals are voltage references it can be a problem. I would lean toward the remote I/O option, perhaps even wireless. I think you will find that the wiring would cost more than the hardware unless you have staff electricians standing around on the clock already.

400 feet might be too far for Ethernet. If you can put a network switch at the halfway point it can work. Also, you might want to look at Point I/O since Flex is getting to be pretty "mature".

The other option would be to pull fiber, but that can be expensive. Another option for remote IO is to use the 1769-AENTR. This allows you to use 1769 CompactLogix I/O cards. Works well if you already stock replacement cards for CompactLogix systems.

Hi

I would use either point of flex I/o
100meteres is the max length you are meant to run cat 5 cable for 400 meters
I would use Fiber and nothing else. Yes there is a nice bit of expense but you will have a far better solution

Donnchadh

I was actualy a little over, the reel distance is more something like 200-250 fts and not 400 fts Sorry !

my boss would prefer to pull the wire to lower the cost than Flex io or point io

Even if i would prefer Flex IO personaly if its fine to do it with pulling all thw wire i guess i have to go with that.

Good to know that with a cat 5 its 100meter max

Thanks for the advice!

Well even if my boss wanted me to pull all the wiring, i summited some price for the 3 options, and it was actualy cheaper go to with the option of Point IO.

Pulling my cable i had to buy around 2k of cable lol

so im definately going for point IO. Thanks for your advice !

I'd say going Point I/O is the best option, good for you for winning that battle.

And for the record, between Point and Flex, I always choose Point, especially for analog. Flex I/O has some issues that haven't been resolved to this day, and it has a much higher failure rate than Point.

Looking forward to the new I/O system coming out, I want to give that a spin.

Good to know, we have some Flex IO here already, i will take it into consideration if we even have problem with them.

Also just to say i can fit all my stuff inside a 12x12x06 panel with a point IO and with a flex im prety sure i would have needed like a 20x12x06 or something close!