set up data

dougpdf

Hi
I've been programming AB plcs to control my older/basic inj molders for years. All open loop.
Since we're a job shop, we set many different molds.
I know there is a way to save/move the data for a particular job and then move it back when we set it back up.
Is there a place someone can point me to help me learn how to do this?
Or is there a particular function I can play with and maybe figure it out on my own?
My next hurdle is data logging.

Oh, I'm using RSlogix.
I've been picking up used SL500 stuff of da bay, but am considering changing to Automation Direct. Good move or bad?

Thanks so much and happy holidays !

Some of the new CompactLogix hardware is priced to compete with SLC h/w. RSLogix5000 allows programs to be placed in a unscheduled mode: it exists in the processor but is not executed. With a single mouse command it can be reactivated. Sounds perfect for what you are describing. If you're okay with the learning curve, it might make good business sense to begin using hardware that may become harder to acquire. And there is plenty of used Compactlogix/Controllogix stuff on E-bay.

I was hoping for a way to save the data(integers) in a group.
Actually to "save as" job 123, job 186, etc and be able to recall them at a later time by that job #. It's very common on mid 90's and above molding machines.
But I wanted to do it within the plc.

I was hoping for a way to save the data(integers) in a group.
Actually to "save as" job 123, job 186, etc and be able to recall them at a later time by that job #. It's very common on mid 90's and above molding machines.
But I wanted to do it within the plc.

That would be no problem in RSL5K.

I think all plcs's will do it, if they've got enough memory, I just don't know how.
I was looking for a resource to learn how or maybe what "function" I'd use to save and recall those integers around in the plc...as a block or group.
I want to do it from the touch screen.

You have to organize to do it.
How many recipes are you wanting to store / recall?
How many variables do you need for each recipe? And of what data type (hopefully all the same - makes it easier)?

If using all integers, you can setup an integer file for each recipe then find a way for the HMI entry to index into that integer file.

That's a very simplistic description but we need more info to go into it in more detail.

Yes, it would be all integers. Each file would contain 25-30 and there would be maybe 10-150 files per machine.
Recipe, that term makes sense..
When we make changes to the process during the run those values will change. I'd like to be able to save the new values if we chose.
Thanks !!

So, if your PLC supports arrays, You could build a 2 dimensional array, say, [150,50]. Each row would be a different recipe. Some programming to make it all work together.

If you can stretch the budget to replace your PLC with a Compact Logix you'll find the whole thing a ton easier. In RSLogix 500 you'll have to be creative with files, and use a lot of indirect addressing. In RSLogix 5000, you can create a UDT (user-defined data type), which makes everything very easy to read. Say each recipe has 4 values (I know it has more, but for the sake of me typing less ;)), you could make a UDT called RECIPE, which contains 4 integers: Height, Length, MouldTime, Weight. Then you can create a tag called, say, BobsBuckets of type RECIPE, and all of a sudden instead of lookign at a meaningless array of numbers, you can be looking at BobsBuckets.Length, BobsBuckets.Height, etc etc.

Then you can take it a step further: add a String type to your RECIPE data type and call it Name, and then create an array of 150 RECIPE's called Recipe_Database. Now you can stick all your recipes in there and search for them by name!

I could go on, but the point of my rambling is: if you can afford the money upfront to migrate to Compact Logix, you will find things a whooooooole lot easier.