Failed to find baud rate and parity

orlando_ctz

Hello everyone, im kind of new in PLC, i know the basic things about it. So i have this probles communicating my SLC 5/04 with DF1. It had been programmed befor so i think that ensure that it works. The SLC5/04 is actually communicating with a PV600 with DH1. But , when i try to communicate with my computer with RS Linx Lite it appears the "Failed to fin baud rate and parity" error.

Any clue can be helpfull.
|

2015-12-18 16.49.41.jpg 2015-12-18 16.47.52.jpg 2015-12-18 10.34.15.jpg 2015-12-18 16.46.51.jpg

The PV 2711-B6C1 is a remote I/O PV. It is not communicating thru the serial port on your SLC.

If the serial port on your SLC is connected to the RS232 port on the PV then the RS232 port on the PV may be configured for a printer.

The serial port for the SLC is at its default setting:

Baud Rate 19200
Parity None
Stop Bits 1
Error Checking CRC

Can you post a screen shot of how RSLinx is setup?

Check you cable, you need a null-modem. If using a USB to serial adapter make sure you use the comm port on your PC that the adapter took.

The PV 2711-B6C1 is a remote I/O PV. It is not communicating thru the serial port on your SLC.

If the serial port on your SLC is connected to the RS232 port on the PV then the RS232 port on the PV may be configured for a printer.

The serial port for the SLC is at its default setting:

Baud Rate 19200
Parity None
Stop Bits 1
Error Checking CRC

Can you post a screen shot of how RSLinx is setup?

Check you cable, you need a null-modem. If using a USB to serial adapter make sure you use the comm port on your PC that the adapter took.

Thank mickey for a quick answer.
The PV is connected with a RIO conection. So Im pretty sure is not connected by RS232. Ive tried null and cross cable but no one seem to work. I just saw a videos explaining how to add a new conection in RSlinx, if its configure with a DH485 and not for a DF1 that might be the problem right? Because i was trying to configure it as a RS232 DF1 network.
Anyway, cant take a picture today not until monday.

no offense - but your pictures are a little bit confusing ... can you help us out by answering these questions ... and specifically, are we working on a connection for the processor shown on the LEFT - or the one shown on the RIGHT ???

rs232_leds.jpg

Last edited:
To add to Ron's post...

Can you tell us the part/catalog number of the cable you are using?

Are you connecting to the 9-pin serial port on the SLC?

The 8 pin is DH+.

Last edited:
Some USB/RS232 converters just don't work with the Autodetect feature of the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver.

As long as you're sure you have set the driver for the correct COM port number, leave all the settings at default (19200-8/N/1, Full Duplex, CRC, SLC/MicroLogix Device Type) and you should be able to use the driver with your SLC-5/04's serial port.

Some USB/RS232 converters just don't work with the Autodetect feature of the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver.

As long as you're sure you have set the driver for the correct COM port number, leave all the settings at default (19200-8/N/1, Full Duplex, CRC, SLC/MicroLogix Device Type) and you should be able to use the driver with your SLC-5/04's serial port.

no offense - but your pictures are a little bit confusing ... can you help us out by answering these questions ... and specifically, are we working on a connection for the processor shown on the LEFT - or the one shown on the RIGHT ???

Hey mickey and Ron, thanks again for answering.
So make this clear Ron, the processor in the pictures they are both the same processor, the RS232 led is blinking, is not in solid green. Im using a 1747cable to communicate but i build it on my own. The cable is ok cause i just check it.

hey ken thanks
im using the serial port in my computer, im not using any usb converter

So make this clear Ron, the processor in the pictures they are both the same processor,

well, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words – but in this particular case I'm not so sure about that ... why did you take the little cover behind the keyswitch off (or maybe put it on) between taking those two pictures? ... and the DH+ cabling doesn't appear to be the same between on picture and the other ...

anyway – moving right along ...

the RS232 led is blinking, is not in solid green.

in MOST cases, if the LED blinks once about every three or four seconds, that indicates that your Channel 0 port (the nine pin) – is set up for DH-485 ... but Mickey's screen shot from the program that you posted indicates that you have your Channel 0 set up for DF1 ...

and ... to make things more confusing, when set up for DF1, the RS232 LED won't turn on solid green with nothing plugged into the nine pin port (unless you're sending messages out through the port with ASCII commands) ...

so ...

maybe you could try using the PIC driver instead of the DF1 driver ... that usually won't run on most modern computers – but right now that's the best I've got for you ...

I can't wait to see how this one finally turns out ...

Last edited:
in MOST cases, if the LED blinks once about every three or four seconds, that indicates that your Channel 0 port (the nine pin) – is set up for DH-485 ... but Mickey's screen shot from the program that you posted indicates that you have your Channel 0 set up for DF1 ...

According to mickey the program is set up for DF1, the RS232 led is not in solid green, it keeps blinking all the time, even when it has the cable in. The led blinks about every 4 second.

And about a PIC driver, how can i configure my rslinx conection, actually im using a DB9 cross-cable. I build the cable based on the attached pinout.

images0MHESLLG.png