ABB ACS355 and OPCA-01 Connection Cable

matts_persic

Does anyone have experience connecting to an ABB ACS-355 drive using the OPCA-01 cable and DWL2.7 or DrivesWindow software. Two different ABB guys said the OPCA-01 is the cable to use, but I can not get it to communicate. I am connecting it to the keypad port and have tried using a RS-232 and a RS-485 port on the PC running DrivesWindow Lite 2.7 and DrivesWindow. Neither works. I have successfully connected to ACS800 and DCS-x00 using fiber and serial, but can't get a connection to the ACS-355. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Surprisingly the ABB folks in New Berlin are no help, and they generally are great with tech support for our company. Matts Persic [email protected] 775-842-8640 mobile.

The manual says that you need an OPCA-02 adapter for the ACS355.
Verified: the two cables have the same pin configuration and should be inter-changeable.
Looks like the difference is the -02 is a CAT5e shielded cable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I have both cables (-01 and -02) and neither works. Your cable pinout clearly shows it is an RS-232. I've tried a bunch of different COM port settings and I generally get "No Drive Detected". Using the ACS800 settings I get a "CRC Communications Error". Have you connected to a ACS355? If so, what are your PC COM port settings?

You only need to tell DWL what com port you are using. It will handle any of the other settings. Make sure something else isn't using the port, including any Rockwell software, or the ABB OPC server that is used by DriveWindows

That's interesting. I wasn't able to connect until it was in remote, while in local I got "No Drive Connected" message.