Sort of OT - MrPLC

rdrast

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is the MrPLC site broken? For a couple days now, every forum post I open up only has the same spam thread in it.

I've tried from several computers, and different sites, so I know it isn't me.

I wouldn't have brought this up if someone else hadn't mentioned it - but personally I've completely stopped going to that site ... I even asked them to remove my name from their membership list - so that other users couldn't try to PM me - since I'm never planning to go back to check for any new PMs ...

it's just too much "new and improvement" over there for an old dog like me ...

the "modern" wishy-washy pastel color scheme - and the icons that they've started using don't work well with my 69 year-old eyes ... and why on earth are all website designers suddenly hung up on using BLUE text on a white background? ... why not good-old-fashioned BLACK on white that you can read without having to turn off the office lights and close the window blinds? ... it's even worse when it's LIGHT-BLUE on white ... then old codgers like me have to tilt the laptop screen to all sorts of weird angles just to read the text ... nuts ...

and I used to be able to write my posts in Microsoft Word - and do my screen shots in Microsoft Paint - and then just seamlessly paste everything into a thread ... well, not no more ... maybe it's the old-fashioned Internet Explorer that I use - but somehow I just can't accept that I should be forced to change my favorite brand of browser just so that I can use one particular website ...

so personally I've bailed out completely ... my only reason for writing this particular post is to beg and plead for Phil to please leave "let's change PLCs.net" off of his to-do-list ... at least for one more year when I'll be retiring anyway ... this one ain't broke - so PLEASE don't "fix it" ...

Last edited:
I actually just this morning removed it from my bookmarks list. The last couple times I've went to it, I couldn't see any replies just error messages from what I can tell where a reply should be. Here is a screen shot...

Last edited:
I believe they are aware of the problem and are trying to sort it, I use the forum for the mitsubishi side of things as this site is generally more biased toward Allen Bradley equipment and the like. However, I would agree the MrPLC site having gone through a number of 'modifications' as of late is not a patch on what it used be, particularly the most recent 'upgrade' which IMHO sucks to high heaven.

Just my 2cents worth

Steve

Hey Guys,
I'm with MrPLC.com administration. We have been working on the recent issues, caused by a cyber attack on the server and are trying to get them resolved asap. The "Spam" threads your seeing is not SPAM, it is a corrupted post from an admin that has been duplicated to a lot of thread posts. We are working to remove those posts.

As for the usability issues mentioned here, we need your feedback! We can not fix something we do no know is broken. If your experiencing an issue with site due to a design feature/change, please drop us an email. we would rather work on / change the design issue than lose a member.

Thanks,
MrPLC.com

I understand your feelings. The main reason for must of the updates is the software backing mrplc forums is greatly outdated. The software developers were no longer releasing updates for it's version and thus leaving Mrplc in the dark ages for security and functionality. While the site may not have had anything wrong with it, it left a lot of thing to be desired from a maintain perspective.

Again, we appreciate any feedback and welcome it. Thanks!

This isn't intended as criticism. When the original publisher no longer supports the software, sooner or later you'll have to abandon it.
However, I'm sure the administrators are saying to themselves, "we replaced an outdated, unsupported, insecure software package with a current, supported, more secure package and immediately got hacked???"

Yep, everyone needs the latest webpage 'craze'...

... why not good-old-fashioned BLACK on white that you can read without having to turn off the office lights and close the window blinds? ... it's even worse when it's LIGHT-BLUE on white ... then old codgers like me have to tilt the laptop screen to all sorts of weird angles just to read the text ... nuts ...
This is why I use an 'Extension' in Firefox called: No-Squint: https://urandom.ca/nosquint/
It allows me to force the background and foreground to "My" color and increase text size by any percent needed. And remember this as the default for each site.

As to web sites, so far I have not found one worse than GE's new and "improved". :eek: :mad: :confused:
Attached is what part of the unread content page at MrPLC looks like to me. (but not not so blurry)

2015-12-22_112200.jpg

Last edited:
Just an update on things,

We have hopefully gotten all the posts cleanup and fixed. There may still be a few loose ends but the site should be fully functional again.

We post maintenance notices and site issues in the
MrPLC announcements and Information Topic Under the "General Topics Lounge"

http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/forum/21-mrplc-announcements-and-information/

You can always keep up with whats going on there and also, start a topic and tag a super admin or myself especially (ctew) about site issues you may notice that have not been addressed. MrPLC is a community, as such lets all work together to keep it the best it can be for each other. Administration is highly open to suggestions and willing to work with the community to keep MrPLC going Strong.

It is working fine now and easy to read - all posts appear to be black lettering on a white background.