Paper Circular Chart replacement with Rockwell Scada

nikhilec2007

Hi,
I have nos. of Paper Circular chart running in all over the plant.

It is time wasting everyday replacing pen and paper in the whole plant, also money.

I have many Rockwell SCADA running, RSView32 as well as FTView SE.

Is there any way to show similar trending in circular (24 hours) in Rockwell SCADA, any of above. (Can not go for linear chart as people are habitated to that only and priniting linear chart will not be much clear in A4 size.)

:book:I have tried looking for any ActiveX on internet, didn't found any proper solution.

I can not go with any other SCADA, this is my limitation as of now.

Does any one have, one or other way implemented this in Rockwell SCADA...

Share the source code or any other items required to implement this.

Hello,

>I can not go with any other SCADA, this is my limitation as of now.

I understand. If you get the option to use another HMI/SCADA, PeakHMI has a 24 hour circular chart as well as a horizontal scrolling chart.

Untitled.png

[FONT=&quot]I have some experience in conversion from circular paper charts to an alternative video image.

Honeywell has produced circular chart recorders for what, nearly a century(?) (see my Avatar)

Honeywell Trendview paperless recorders had a dedicated circular paperless recorder or the choice of a circular display on the larger 10/12" paperless recorder. No customer ever opted to use the circular display choice, since the Y-t strip format (horizontal or vertical) was available.

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Honeywell dropped the circular option choice for nearly a decade, then re-introduced the circular paperless display (along with the choice of vertical or horizontal displays)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Our sales guys show the new [FONT=&quot]paperless and [/FONT]and find that generally the quality people, the people who have make any sort of qualitative analysis of the data want a Y-t display - strip chart style, whether horizontal or vertical. But operators want exactly what they have now.

The issue with Honeywell's video version of paperless is that w[FONT=&quot]hile [/FONT]it is a circular display, it does not replicate a paper circular paper chart display.

On a circular paper chart, the the date/times rotate and the present 'real-time' new data value lies on the pen arc, which is a fixed location on the chart recorder.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
new_data_on_Truline.jpg

On the Honeywell circular display, the date/times are stationary (around the circumference) and the present real-time value is wherever the real-time clock places it on the chart given the fixed date/time scale.
[/FONT]
new_data_on_DR_paperless.jpg
[FONT=&quot]
The quality people notice and go, "oh, yeah" but the operators do not like it because it is not the exactly the same representation of the data that they are accustomed to.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So, if you stumble on a circular display somewhere in that software, be sure to find out whether it meets the operators' expectations, because not all circular displays are the same.
[/FONT]

Hello,

For PeakHMI:

A theme can have one of two possible modes.
Pen = The chart rotates and the pen is fixed at zero degrees.
Hour = The pen moves around the chart.

Hi,
Thanks for the alternate...

I will try after downloading... If available for free trial...

Though some questions....

If you have tried it, can you tell whether it is using any active x or any other object?
If active x, can i register for other application and use it...?
Can it plot historical data from sql server?

Thanks again...

Hello,

For PeakHMI:

A theme can have one of two possible modes.
Pen = The chart rotates and the pen is fixed at zero degrees.
Hour = The pen moves around the chart.

I am using other scada since last eight years and know that i can get similar details as circular chart...
But i guess you will understand nature of people who are using it since last 20 years.... Want to save paper and money, but does not want to change...

As far as i understand, printing a horizontal chart of 24 hour in A4 size paper will not be much clear as compared to circular one...

For their satisfaction only, i am looking for this alternative...

what do you get out of a round chart that isnt presented by a normal chart?

Last edited:
Hello,

>If available for free trial...

Yes there is a trial version.

>can you tell whether it is using any active x or any other object?

It is not using an ActiveX object. It is native to the HMI/SCADA.

>Can it plot historical data from sql server?

No. That is an interesting idea.

Aahhhh... Lightening fast response...
OK... I will download free trial and will check out...
Thanks again

Hello,

>If available for free trial...

Yes there is a trial version.

>can you tell whether it is using any active x or any other object?

It is not using an ActiveX object. It is native to the HMI/SCADA.

>Can it plot historical data from sql server?

No. That is an interesting idea.

I am using other scada since last eight years and know that i can get similar details as circular chart...
But i guess you will understand nature of people who are using it since last 20 years.... Want to save paper and money, but does not want to change...

As far as i understand, printing a horizontal chart of 24 hour in A4 size paper will not be much clear as compared to circular one...

For their satisfaction only, i am looking for this alternative...

I understand that for sure.

Can it plot historical data from sql server?
Is that a true requirement or 'it might be nice' wish list request?

My experience is that anyone needing archived historical data needs it for quantitative analysis. Those people want data in .cvs format or Y-t trend format, they do want it the data in the original circular format.

This experience is spread over hundreds of accounts.

I can understand operators wanting to see exactly what they've seen their entire career, but anyone needing to check the data wants the data in an easy-to-use, easy-to-interpret format, which is not a circular trend format.

Danw,

Would the Honeywell system be capable of recording 8 sensors (4 °F & 4 % humidity) with one system, or would that require 8 systems? I have a customer using 4 paper dual-pen recorders, when everything else in their plant is electronic & automated. I think I could sell them on this.

Also, if limits were set (MIN/MAX) could it send immediate alerts/emails?

Would the Honeywell system be capable of recording 8 sensors (4 °F & 4 % humidity) with one system, or would that require 8 systems?

One 8 channel DR or GR MultiTrend will handle all 8 channels, 2 pens per circular screen, 4 screens, one for each existing recorder. The smaller GR Mini with its 5" screen will do the Y-t trends, but no circular (not enough screen area).

Screen style is selected, it can be Y-t horizontal or vertical or circular. About 95% or users select Y-t horizontal.

Also, if limits were set (MIN/MAX) could it send immediate alerts/emails?
Email on alarm is a done all the time. Ethernet is standard, email is a $100 option. 6 alarm points per channel so it can be hi, hi/hi, low, low/low if need be. Alarming function is standard, Alarm relay outputs are optional.

The $150 "Events" option is also frequently used. And I recommend the $50 maintenance option that displays a number of diagnostics, very helpful when commissioning (what is ch 3 really seeing for an input?) and over the long term when troubleshooting.

I have a customer using 4 paper dual-pen recorders, when everything else in their plant is electronic & automated. I think I could sell them on this.
That's who buys them.