Profinet Specification

gartut

Hi Guys,

I am looking for the difference in the two profinet specifications

What is the difference between Profinet 2.2 and 2.3?

I am asking this as a profinet device calls for it.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I am looking for the difference in the two profinet specifications

What is the difference between Profinet 2.2 and 2.3?

I am asking this as a profinet device calls for it.

Thanks

I think the main difference was a hypothetical increase in bus speed (fastest update rate is now 31.5 microseconds via IRT). I'm not sure how many PN controllers actually support that bus speed (probably not many), but it's hypothetically available now.

If the device says that it SUPPORTS v2.3, it probably supports v2.2 as well. If the device REQUIRES v2.3, then that is a different story.

Thanks for the quick response. I will refer back to the documents now. It will support 2.2 just needed to know what advantages of 2.3

Thanks again!

There must be a difference in supporting bigger modul sizes.
I had two problems setting up a Profinet-IO communication with a S7-300 and a S7-400 which both support only V2.2, and a S7-1500 which supports V2.3 as fas as I know.
In one case I had an Anybus PN-PN coupler with a single module of 512 bytes which had not worked on Siemens side. After we split the module in many submodules of smaller size then it worked.
Next case was a S7-1500 as I-Device with a module size of 400 bytes if I remember corectly, which was not working in a S7-400 with Ethernet-CP as PN-controller. After I split it into smaller modules it worked.