Issue Moving 1734 AENT From One PLC to Another

Dave42

I had a 1734 AENT module that I wanted to move from a PLC that had very little downtime (runs the main process of my plant) to a PLC that I could take offline and test trial code on.

This 1734 AENT module only has one IB4 card running on it.

PLC 1 is a 1756 L63 Firmware revision 17
PLC 2 is a 1756 L61 Firmware revision 19

I started the transfer process by inhibiting the AENT module in PLC 1 and then adding it to PLC 2. This is where the problem started. PLC 2 can poll information from the AENT and know if it is owned and configured but gets a comm fault 16#2023 and will continually switch between an internal state of unconnected and not being owned to an internal state of Run Mode and being owned.

Now to try and resolve this I tried power cycling, restarting the AENT from Logix5000, Upgrading to a AENTR, and changing the IP address. But the problem still persists.

I am thinking there is some lingering connection to PLC 1 that is kicking PLC 2 off. Is there some way to clear this or is something else happening here?

What is the error message shown along with the error code? I can't find any reference in the knowledge base or RSLogix help to error code 16#2023.

You'll need to re add the module as listen only...just inhibiting it doesn't release ownership if I had to guess.

What is the error message shown along with the error code? I can't find any reference in the knowledge base or RSLogix help to error code 16#2023.

(Code 16#2023) Connection Timed Out
Also searched knowledge base with no results

What version of firmware is the AENT at, and what version of firmware is your 1756-E whatever card at?

There are some known issues with firmware compatibility.

1756 L61 v19.12
1734 AENTR v4.2

Right, sorry, was curious about the ethernet module FW in the Clgx base as well.

I can't find the release notes for 4.002 offhand, but you need a minimum FW revision on the ethernet card talking to the AENT as well in order for it to work right.

Ah, It is a 1756 ENBT v4.3

I assume you mean 4.003 , In which case you need to rev that module to at least 4.006 for support.

"If you use the 1734-AENTR or 1738-AENTR adapter with a 1756-ENBT or
1768-ENBT module, use the following firmware revisions for these bridge
modules:
• 1756-ENBT firmware revision 4.006 or greater
• 1768-ENBT firmware revision 2.003 or greater"