PVA to MER conversion

gmarowski

Hello All,

In my plant I have several Panelview Plus terminals and a couple of older Panelview 1000 terminals. I know sooner or later the older 1000 terminals will die and we will probably want to replace them with Panelview Plus terminals at that time. My question is, is there any easy way to convert the older PVA files to MER files for the Panelview Plus? Or am I going to have to recreate the applications by hand?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I'm afraid is going to be a manual process....

No its not. You can definitely import an old standard PV app into RSView Me studio. It will do the conversion quite nicely. There may be things that need adjusting or tweaking, but you don't have to start from stratch.

It's not a totally manual process, but it's not totally automatic either.

You can open the *.PVA files in PanelBuilder32, then save them as *.PBA PanelBuilder files. These files can be operated on by the conversion/import feature of FactoryTalk View Studio.

The difficulty of conversion depends on a handful of factors including the network type and the sophistication of the application. RIO units are a pain, DH+ is easy.

And just to clarify, you cannot convert from PanelView runtime (.pva) to PVPlus runtime (.mer).

You must import the .PVA file into FT View which will create a project for development (.med). After performing any manual changes you must then create a runtime (.mer).

OG

Wow, thanks for all the answers so quickly. Yeah, I really didn't phrase the question correctly. I am aware that I have to use the PBA file to actually do the conversion. I just wanted some input as to how (what tool) I could use to convert the PBA file.

So If I understand this correctly, I can take the PBA file and open it in Factory Talk, the export it as a MED file, then use that to create the MER file. That is good news. I don't mind having to do some manual manipulation to get it to work, but I'd hate to have to recreate 20+ screens and re-tag everything manually. What a pain that would be. Fortunately it's on a DH+ network.

Thanks again for all the responses, I'll look into it and get back to you all and let you know how it goes.

Last edited: